AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ok, my title might be a bit miss leading, or at least you might think I am about to ask the same old question everyone else has already asked and answered here. I wanted to start a fun little thread.

I've got the system, and a growing selection of dvd's. Been sitting here at work thinking of what to watch when I get home, and nothing in my collection is standing out to me. So I thought I would head down the the local BB and get me a few new titles, but nothing really of interest is coming out this week. I wanted to start a thread and ask everyone for some suggestions of their favorite titles, and it might give me some inspiration for something I haven't thought about in years. I'm not concered with if its reference or not, or if it was a huge hit, but looking to see what everyone out there has hidden deep in their dvd stack, that they pull out once a year to watch and enjoy. Things I've over looked or havent heard of that I can get my hands on.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troiano
Ok, Ok, my title might be a bit miss leading, or at least you might think I am about to ask the same old question everyone else has already asked and answered here. I wanted to start a fun little thread.

I've got the system, and a growing selection of dvd's. Been sitting here at work thinking of what to watch when I get home, and nothing in my collection is standing out to me. So I thought I would head down the the local BB and get me a few new titles, but nothing really of interest is coming out this week. I wanted to start a thread and ask everyone for some suggestions of their favorite titles, and it might give me some inspiration for something I haven't thought about in years. I'm not concered with if its reference or not, or if it was a huge hit, but looking to see what everyone out there has hidden deep in their dvd stack, that they pull out once a year to watch and enjoy. Things I've over looked or havent heard of that I can get my hands on.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Heat

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Star Wars Trilogy(original)

Tron

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

U-571

The Incredibles

Spider-Man 1,2

Poltergeist

The Shining

In the Mouth of Madness

Star Trek Movies 1-10

The Wizard of Oz

Kill Bill 1,2

Full Metal Jacket

Time Bandits

Something about Mary

Jaws

Stargate

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
As a slightly different way to answer your question (beyond the existing threads on "favorite DVDs" or "What We Watched" [ link ]), here's my blockbuster queue...

Grateful Dead: Truckin' Up To Buffalo Long Wait

Cure: Greatest Hits Long Wait

Reservoir Dogs [10th Anniversary Special Edition] R Available Now

Memento [Limited Edition] R Available Now

Big Lebowski [WS] R Available Now

Devo: Live in the Land of the Rising Sun Long Wait

The Terminal [WS] PG13 Available Now

Dave Matthews Band: Live at Folsom Field Boulder, Colorado Available Now

The Village [WS] PG13 Available Now

Dave Matthews: Listener Supported Available Now

U-571 PG13 Available Now

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live at the El Mocambo Short Wait

Sin City R Available Now

Jackie Brown R Available Now

Chronicles of Riddick [WS Unrated] NR Available Now

To Live and Die in L.A. [Special Edition] R Available Now

Full Metal Jacket [P&S] R Available Now

It's a mix of stuff I've never seen and stuff I haven't seen in a long time. Some of my favorite DVDs by mail have been ones that I didn't even think would be worth renting under the old B&M rental scheme.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
As a slightly different way to answer your question (beyond the existing threads on "favorite DVDs" or "What We Watched" [ link ]), here's my blockbuster queue...

Grateful Dead: Truckin' Up To Buffalo Long Wait

Cure: Greatest Hits Long Wait

Reservoir Dogs [10th Anniversary Special Edition] R Available Now

Memento [Limited Edition] R Available Now

Big Lebowski [WS] R Available Now

Devo: Live in the Land of the Rising Sun Long Wait

The Terminal [WS] PG13 Available Now

Dave Matthews Band: Live at Folsom Field Boulder, Colorado Available Now

The Village [WS] PG13 Available Now

Dave Matthews: Listener Supported Available Now

U-571 PG13 Available Now

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live at the El Mocambo Short Wait

Sin City R Available Now

Jackie Brown R Available Now

Chronicles of Riddick [WS Unrated] NR Available Now

To Live and Die in L.A. [Special Edition] R Available Now

Full Metal Jacket [P&S] R Available Now

It's a mix of stuff I've never seen and stuff I haven't seen in a long time. Some of my favorite DVDs by mail have been ones that I didn't even think would be worth renting under the old B&M rental scheme.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
What genre are you lacking in the ones that you own? Get that.

For example, I hardly own any comedies. Most of the DVD's I own are action/adventure/suspense. When nothing stands out to me, I'll usually go rent a comedy (or put one in my queue). Determine what you're lacking and rent it.

Stew

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Clerks (great little low budget D&F joke type movie its B&W shot on super VHS)

Rocky 1,2,3,4

Fargo

The mask(jim carrey,cameron deiz) (cameron deiz looks the best in this movie she's young and not too skinny yet)

Yeah not really a whole lot comming out that's new a lot of re-releases

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is what I recommend:

Go to www.imdb.com and take a look at the top 250. As you start working your way through the list you will run across movies that you just love, and will want more of the same. Then look up other movies with the same director, actors, or genre. That will lead you to still more movies. Soon you will sit at work thinking about all the movies you "need" to watch.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
for some different movies:

My Blue Heaven

The Sweetest Thing

Whos Afraid of Virginia Wolf

Bowfinger

Dark City

Nothing But Trouble

Jason X

then of course, there are the usual standards, the Terminator movies, Matrix, etc, but everyone knows them.

try Twister with DTS sound and crank up the surround-sound to monster volumes and the effects of the tornadoes are staggering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.