AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke out of the HT to take a deserving 10yr old daughter to see WALL-E.

Afterwards, about one hour later, I felt sick on my stomach.

I have been a bit sick lately, so don't want to blame the DLP at the new state of the art theater, but is that a potential effect? I am aware of people seeing rainbows and headaches, but nausea?

FYI, I use an Epson HC 1080 LCD in the HT.

Also, not to be bragging on the HT, but I thought the sights and sounds are much better in my HT than at the new state of the art 18 cinema-plex.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef /forum/post/14186558

Broke out of the HT to take a deserving 10yr old daughter to see WALL-E.

Afterwards, about one hour later, I felt sick on my stomach.

I have been a bit sick lately, so don't want to blame the DLP at the new state of the art theater, but is that a potential effect? I am aware of people seeing rainbows and headaches, but nausea?

FYI, I use an Epson HC 1080 LCD in the HT.

Also, not to be bragging on the HT, but I thought the sights and sounds are much better in my HT than at the new state of the art 18 cinema-plex.

I have hear of nausea, but only during the movie and certainly not an hour later.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Commercial cinema DLP uses a 3 chip setup, just like your LCD. The side effects you list are usually associated with single chip DLP's that use a color wheel.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, not wanting to BLAME DLP, I really couldn't careless, but I was curious if it was an effect that affects me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Might have been the hot dog?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I don't go to the theater much anymore but when I do I often will feel yucky some time after leaving. However for me it is the strange oil they now use on butter popcorn. I know that ahead of time but seem to buy it anyway.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't think colourwheels are the only thing that can affect people. The fact that DLP achieves brightness gradients by modulating on/off duty cycle is a possible problem for some viewers.

I think TI has a huge contingent watching news articles about this. I remember reading an article a couple of years ago where a number of Japanese movie patrons became ill in a DLP cinema viewing a particular feature. No hits at all on a google search now. Also, there was a DLP parody about people being unwell on utube. A few months ago I searched for it, using the utube search term 'DLP vomit'. A number of results came up, but, in each case the video had been 'removed'. Now there aren't any references at all.

One of my pj's is DLP ( an HD1000 ), and while I never saw rainbows originally, I do see them now. They don't bother me at all, and I love my HD1000. However, I believe that it could be possible that the modulated on/off to achieve lumanence scheme that single and 3 chip DLP uses could affect some sensitive viewers.

No scientific evidence at all here, but, I find it unusual how the above mentioned news / videos have been totally expunged.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
maybe to much beer the night before? i hear ya when the local theatre went didgital i felt the same way at first considering i have a dlp in my own ht, never had that problem at home but at the theatre i felt nauseous.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I would say the nausea was related to something other than the theater, especially since you say it happened an hour after the show was over.

The headaches and other affects from single chip dlp usually occur during the presentation. I have had a DLP headache before and it was because I had the picture WAY too bright. I have also gotten nauseated at the theater during a movie as well; Cloverfield has that ability because of the handheld filming technique used in the movie. I also became slightly nauseated during the one extended fight scene in the Bourne Ultimatuum movie in my own home theater!

I've noted lately and the family has agreed that other than having to wait so long for the movie to come out so we can watch it at home, the local theater offers no real advantange anymore.

I am tempted to go see Wall-E though...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Feeling sick an hour later sounds like the hotdog and nachoes. Maybe you shouldn't have had the free refill on that uber-tub of popcorn?

As for the movie, the DLPs have more contrast than film, I wonder if that could provide eye-fatigue in a darkened theatre.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Could not have been the movie as I thought it was a blast. And yes the commercial theater digital projector would be a 3 chipper.

You could try the theater again sometime just to see if it happens again then you would know for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts