AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I was mindlessly channel surfing and saw that "Star Trek: First Contact" was about to begin on one of the move networks. I hadn't seen it since watching it in the theater as a kid and I remembered enjoying it quite a bit, so I slouched back on the couch an settled in for some nostalgia. Hearing the familiar, welcoming Star Trek fanfare heightened my anticipation, and then something unexpected happened: as the main title played my eyed started to water a bit, and I didn't know why.

Sure, it's a beautiful theme, in all of it's Brahmsian horn/viola/cello glory

but I didn't even remember it from when I first saw the film. It's certainly not as memorable as a tune like the main title of The Godfather or Star Wars, but it has such a wonderful, peaceful quality.

Later I went to youtube and looked it up, and surprisingly it had the almost the same effect. Then I realized what had happened: the music had taken me back. Back to being a kid, back to a time when life wasn't so complicated. Somehow my subconscious had stored the theme away, and hearing it again opened up some locked away emotions.

I tried to think of some other movie themes that might have a similar effect, and I did come up with one: Field of Dreams.

I grew up in the country, surrounded by farms and cornfields, and my dad and I never quite saw eye to eye, so this is particular music is in my wheelhouse. I didn't see the movie until the early 2000s with some friends, and I had to excuse myself because most of the other people watching were laughing at the corniness of it all while the ending was making me cry, and I didn't want to come across as some sort of wuss. When the haunting opening horn theme fades into the gentle Joplin-esque piano tune I almost feel like I've stepped into a time machine twice: one for when I first saw the film, and one for when I was a kid running around in those fields.

I'd be curious to hear some other themes that have that sort of special connection for you.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
One theme that almost always brings tears for me is the opening theme to "The Joy Luck Club". Not so much because it takes me back to the time I watched it as because it brings the movie itself to mind - and "The Joy Luck Club" is an Olympic-class tearjerker of a film.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts