AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a seagate go drive 1tb ext HDD to store my movie collection on to play thru ps3 usb. I transferred my collection from laptop to ext HDD. I noticed that some titles are not displaying correctly and others are. (this while connected to ps3). When the drive is connected to laptop and I go into the folders where the movies are the titles display correctly. I am using winxdvdripper platinum to convert my movies to .avi, and have renamed them after rip to clean up the titles.

I can also stream from laptop to ps3 and the titles display correctly, both from the laptop hd and the ext hd connected to laptop.

Not sure how to correct this, any help would be much appreciated.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they come up with a series of letters followed by dvd #,dvd 23, dvd24, dvd 26 and so on

here is another example, this on can be interpreted tho COLLATERAL_DAMAGE_1_0730. i have not renamed it yet.

here is another example _1_0730 ( this is a file that has not been renamed yet.0

another example dvd 0366 (this one is the replacements)

another example BIGMAMA 0468

another example ASDF 0571 (this one is american gangster)

Just doesn't make sense, as stated earlier they disply correctly when streaming or the ext hdd is connected to laptop and streaming.

They also display correctly in their folder when accessing the file on ext hdd.

This is what I have done I have created folders by genre and just added all the titles for that genre in their repective genre folders in .avi format

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't be the only one who has experienced this. This is making me crazy. I don't want to have to rely on having to have the drive connected to my pc in order to have the titles display correctly. Could it have something to do with the software I am using to compress to avi?

· Registered
316 Posts
No clue what's causing the problem. Have you tried eliminating the subfolders and just put all of your files in the main VIDEO folder?

Also, when you're talking about the title not displaying correcting are you saying the PS3 is showing something OTHER than the actual file name?

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I haven't tried just one main video folder,

below is a sample of what populates when connected directly to ps3. I put the title that appears in quotes.

here is another example "_1_0730" ( this is a file that has not been renamed yet.0

another example "dvd 0366" (this one is the replacements)

another example "BIGMAMA 0468"

another example "ASDF 0571" (this one is american gangster)

This doesn't happen with all titles, just some.

· Registered
316 Posts
For those examples you gave what are the actual file names on your hdd? Is The Replacements file named "The Replacement.avi" or is it named "dvd 0366.avi"?

I don't know how it works when you stream movies (I've never done it) but when I pull up movies from my USB drive the movie titles reflect the actual file name. As far as I know the PS3 doesn't show any title "tags".

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just the title

IE; American Gangster, Gran Torino, Gladiator

in properties the file shows video clip

american gangster.avi

Gran Torino.avi

Gladiator.avi

They all play fine, remember the only time titles are not displayed right is when the drive is connected to the ps3, and this is not with all the titles, I am curious is this has been caused during the re-naming process?

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the lastest:

I tiried conecting my external drive to my kids XBOX360 vis usb and all the titles display correctly. Evidently this issue is being caused by the PS3, still haven't figured it out though.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes i reformatted the ps3 as well as the hard drive, basically did a system restore. Still the same reults.

I did purchase wdtvlive for the bedroom and connected the drive thru usb and all titles display correctly.

Again this doesn't make any sense to me.

· Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmendrick /forum/post/18125131

they come up with a series of letters followed by dvd #,dvd 23, dvd24, dvd 26 and so on

here is another example, this on can be interpreted tho COLLATERAL_DAMAGE_1_0730. i have not renamed it yet.

here is another example _1_0730 ( this is a file that has not been renamed yet.0

another example dvd 0366 (this one is the replacements)

another example BIGMAMA 0468

another example ASDF 0571 (this one is american gangster)

Just doesn't make sense, as stated earlier they disply correctly when streaming or the ext hdd is connected to laptop and streaming.

They also display correctly in their folder when accessing the file on ext hdd.

This is what I have done I have created folders by genre and just added all the titles for that genre in their repective genre folders in .avi format

I have seen this behavior when I use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to encode DVD movies to either MP4 or AVC format. Whatever I name the movie filename on the PC, the filename will appear as the original DVD label name with a number. If I copy the movie to PS3 internal hard drive, I can rename the filename but once I copy the movie file to external USB hard drive, the filename is back to the original filename. If the DVD movie VOB files are stored on the hard drive before encoded to MP4 or AVC, then the filename always become DVD with a number.

I haven't figure out how to force MP4 or AVC movies encoded by WinX to stay with the filename I want. My theory is the original filename is stored inside the movie file and PS3 reads from the internal movie file than the filename.

If I use WinX to encode the DVD movie to DivX or WMV, then the filename will be what I named it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.