AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone have a question my motorola hdtv/dual tuner dvr cable box recently took a dump i had a bunch of movies saved on the hard drive that im trying to recover i have removed the hard drive and hooked it up to my pc but i cant access it i can see it in the bios and the device manager which say its working properly but theres no icon for that drive do i need to unlock it or somthing let me know im at a standstill thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It is unlikely that the hard disk uses a filesystem that your PC can recognize. The data might even be encrypted on the disk.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The Sky + PVR used in the UK has two tuners, but only one decryption module (on the basis that you can only watch one thing at a time). It therefore records the encrypted video onto the disc, and only decrypts on playback, meaning the on-disc video files are unusable on a PC, even if you can reverse-engineer the recording structure used.

Could well be that other dual tuner, single output PVRs use the same system - though it would depend if the encryption scheme allows for post-transmission decryption, or whether decryption is tied into "real time".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.