AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
THURSDAY, APRIL 23

TRIVIA---famous tv chef Julia Child got her first culinary experience in World War II working as a research assistant for the OSS, the predecessor to the CIA, where she helped develop a shark repellent.
During World War II, Child was turned down by the Woman's Army Corps (WAC) because, at 6' 2", she was too tall. However, the OSS was glad to have her, and she began as a typist/research assistant to Gen. William J. "Wild Bill" Donovan, the head of the OSS. Child later joined the OSS Emergency Sea Rescue Experiment Section where she helped develop the shark repellent that repelled sharks from Allied servicemen and OSS explosives intended for the Nazis, "Child's solution was to experiment with cooking various concoctions as a shark repellent,,,[which] marked Child's first foray into the world of cooking ..."
Child was then sent to Ceylon and China where she met her future husband, OSS Officer Paul Child. She was awarded the Emblem of Meritorious Civilian Service as head of the Registry of the OSS Secretariat.
In 1948, Child worked for the US Information Agency in Paris and enrolled in the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu culinary school which led to her future as the popular tv chef.

OSS Intelligence Officer Julia Child (striped dress) with other OSS staffers during World War II.

Child received a Peabody Award for THE FRENCH CHEF tv series.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
TRIVIA---the well-documented feud between Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger in the ironically-titled TERMS OF ENDEARMENT included Winger reportedly lifting her skirt and farting at MacLaine. Winger commented on reported physical altercations with MacLaine, "There might have been a scuffle. I don't remember. I mean, we were wild, you know."
For the EVENING STAR sequel, the producer wanted to use a photo of Winger, and MacLaine said, “The producer called Debra and asked if we could use it, and Debra said, ‘Sure, just make sure that Shirley doesn’t use it as a dartboard.’”

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
MONDAY, APRIL 27

TRIVIA---more James Bond movie trivia.
British character actress Valerie Leon played a hotel desk receptionist in two hit movies, the original THE ITALIAN JOB and THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. Leon played a hotel guest in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN.

Valerie Leon played a hotel desk receptionist in the original THE ITALIAN JOB with Michael Caine.

Leon played a hotel desk receptionist in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME with Roger Moore.

Leon played a hotel guest in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, Sean Connery's last James Bond movie.

TRIVIA---in PREDATOR, Kevin Peter Hall (7'-2") played the deadly alien hunter. At the end of the movie, Hall also played the pilot of the helicopter that rescued Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Jean-Claude van Damme was originally going to play the Predator, but van Damme quit because he wasn't going to be seen inside the Predator costume. The original costume was rejected as being too silly-looking, so Schwarzenegger recommended creature-designer Stan Winston who worked with Schwarzenegger on James Cameron's THE TERMINATOR. While on an airliner, Winston showed his Predator sketches to Cameron. It was Cameron who suggested that Winston add the unique mandibles to the Predator.

Schwarzenegger's former commanding officer, Major General Phillips, was played by veteran character actor RG Armstrong, who was a former classmate of Andy Griffith's at the University of North Carolina.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
TUESDAY, APRIL 28

TRIVIA---Burt Reynolds, in his autobiography MY LIFE, commented on the DELIVERANCE rape scene involving Ned Beatty and the hillbilly played by William McKinney, “I swear to God, McKinney really wanted to hump Ned. And I think he was going to. He had it up, and he was going to bang him. Finally, I couldn’t stand it anymore. I ran into the scene, dove on McKinney, and pulled him off Ned. [director John] Boorman helped hold him down. Ned, crying with rage and fear, found a big stick and started beating McKinney on the head.” When Reynolds asked Boorman why he took so long to stop filming, he replied, “I was waiting for you to run in. I knew when you ran in that I’d taken the audience to breaking point.”

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29

TRIVIA---writer/director John Milius is a gun collector and a former member of the National Rifle Association Board of Directors. In his movie, THE WIND AND THE LION (Sean Connery, Candice Bergen), Milius has a cameo as the one-armed German army officer who is demonstrating the Maxim machine gun to the Sultan.

John Milius was the writer/director of THE WIND AND THE LION starring Sean Connery and Candice Bergen.

Milius has a cameo in THE WIND AND THE LION as the one-armed German army officer who is demonstrating the Maxim machine gun to the Sultan.

TRIVIA---in CAPRICORN ONE, a NASA administrator tells three astronauts (James Brolin, OJ Simpson and Sam Waterston) that their first manned mission to Mars is a hoax, and if they don't cooperate, their families will be killed. OJ says, "These people, they're capable of anything! And we've got our families out there!"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
THURSDAY, APRIL 30

TRIVIA---Mickey Rourke's first movie role was Pvt. Reese, a member of Dan Aykroyd's M3 Lee tank crew, in Steven Spielberg's 1941.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
FRIDAY, MAY 1

TRIVIA---STAR TREK historian Mark A. Altman said John Belushi's last day alive was spent on the film set of STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN before he died of a drug overdose, "Also an interesting story, one day John Belushi came to visit the set of STAR TREK II… He came because he wanted to perfect his [William] Shatner impersonation. So he came and watched Shatner on set all day. And that night, they wanted to have him sing and play The Blues Brothers at the wrap party, and they were going to ask him. And that night was the night he died of a drug overdose at the Chateau Marmont."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
MONDAY, MAY 4

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is considered to be the best of the Roger Moore James Bond movies, and legendary director Stanley Kubrick and his daughter had key roles in making the movie.
During the filming of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, cinematographer Claude Renoir's poor eyesight prevented him from devising the proper lighting for the massive stage featuring the submarine dock in the supertanker Liparus. Production designer Ken Adam, who worked with Stanley Kubrick on DR. STRANGELOVE, asked Kubrick for advice, "So I called Stanley up and asked him down to Pinewood to give me ideas. At first he said I was out of my mind but eventually he agreed to come on a Sunday when only security were around...He spent three or four hours with me telling me how he would light the stage. And of course the whole thing being in secret appealed to Stanley's sense of drama."
Also, Kubrick's daughter, Katharina Kubrick Hobbs, who worked in the studio art department, designed the steel teeth for Bond Villain Jaws, "My claim to fame is that I designed Jaws steel teeth. It was a throw away job they gave to the art dept junior who could draw...( me). Who knew they would become so iconic?"

James Bond production designer Ken Adam designed the Pentagon War Room in Stanley Kubrick's DR. STRANGELOVE.

Adam asked Kubrick for help in lighting THE SPY WHO LOVED ME's massive stage featuring the submarine dock in the supertanker Liparus.

Stanley Kubrick's daughter, Katharina Kubrick Hobbs, designed the steel teeth for Bond Villain Jaws.

Jaws's steel teeth on display at the International Spy Museum in Washington, DC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
TRIVIA---Michael Caine talked about the proposed sequel to the hit gold heist movie THE ITALIAN JOB, “What happened was, we were in the south of France. We switched on the engine, ran it for several hours. The gold was at one end and we were at the other. The engine ran out of petrol so the balance went alright. We got out of the coach and then the weight of the gold once we were out pushed it over the edge. Waiting at the bottom of the cliff was the French mafia, and they ran off with it and the sequel was we chaise them through the Riviera.”
Caine said the sequel was never filmed because it was his fault the movie was not a hit in the US. Caine refused to do a publicity tour in the US because the movie poster showed a machine gun-armed gangster sitting next to a nude woman, “I said: men who want to see naked women will walk out and women with children won’t go see it. I never publicized the movie, and so it died in America.”

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
TRIVIA---stuntman/actor/producer Dick Crockett was Willam Shatner's double in the STAR TREK episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before". He also appeared in the episodes "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "The Gamesters of Triskelion". Crockett was a good friend of director Blake Edwards and was a stuntman and co-producer on many of his movies. Perhaps Crockett's biggest role in a Blake Edwards movie was playing President Gerald R. Ford in THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN.

Stuntman/actor/producer Dick Crockett was Willam Shatner's double in the STAR TREK episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

Crockett also appeared in the episode "The Trouble with Tribbles".

Crockett also appeared in episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion".

Perhaps Crockett's biggest role in a Blake Edwards movie was playing President Gerald R. Ford in THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
TRIVIA---J. Lee Thompson directed the hit World War II movie THE GUNS OF NAVARONE based on the Alistair MacLean novel. During filming, actress Gia Scala asked to cut Thompson's hair and shaved a strip on the back of his head. Thompson said, "Gia Scala, who was a little crazy, decided I needed a haircut. She was a little upset over some scene we had done. I just sat there while she cut my hair and she ruined it. It made me look ridiculous! I had to wear a hat." Actor James Darren mitigated the bad haircut a little by making up the back of Thompson's head. According to some sources, Scala retaliated because Thompson ordered her to get her hair cut short to make her look boyish over her objections.
Thompson said about working with Scala earlier on AIM AT THE STARS, "She was absolutely crazy...after the film was finished, I said, 'Thank God. I hope I never have to work with her again. And then when I inherited GUNS OF NAVARONE, who was in the cast? Gia Scala!"
In 1972, Scala was found dead in her home. Los Angeles County Coroner Thomas Noguchi ruled her death was accidental by "acute ethanol and barbiturate intoxication".
However, Scala's sister claimed she was murdered because her nude body was found sprawled across her bed, there were bruises on her body and blood on her pillow.

Gia Scala with David Niven and James Darren in THE GUNS OF NAVARONE.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
TRIVIA---in the original KING KONG, the biplane pilot and gunner who shot Kong off the Empire State Building were played by the movie's directors/producers, Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack. Cooper said about their cameos, "We should kill the son-of-a-***** ourselves."
Cooper was a US Army Air Service pilot in World War I and was a POW after his DH4 biplane was shot down. Schoedsack was a cameraman in the Signal Corps and flew a number of combat missions in World War I.

Merian C. Cooper played the biplane pilot who killed King Kong.

Ernest B. Schoedsack played the biplane's gunner.

TRIVIA---Catherine Mary Stewart is perhaps best know for co-starring in THE LAST STARFIGHTER, but her first role in a major movie was playing a London sales clerk in NIGHTHAWKS with Sylvester Stallone and Rutger Hauer. '"I had a small role in Nighthawks. It was with Rutger Hauer. He was pure evil in this show and never broke character, around me at least. He terrified me as a young, new actor. This was only my third role after "The Apple" and "Powder Heads", a Canadian ski comedy. I was back in London and Sylvester Stallone cast me."' Stewart said apparently her British accent was not very convincing because her voice was dubbed in the final film.

Catherine Mary Stewart is perhaps best know for co-starring in THE LAST STARFIGHTER.

Stewart's first role in a major movie was playing a London sales clerk in NIGHTHAWKS with Sylvester Stallone and Rutger Hauer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
In THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, James Bond goes undercover as marine biologist Robert Sterling to investigate Bond Villain Karl Stromberg, who has hijacked nuclear submarines in order to start a nuclear war and kill all of mankind so he can rule the Earth from his sea base at the bottom of the sea.
In the movie VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM of the SEA, Robert Sterling played Capt. Lee Crane, commander of the nuclear submarine Seaview, who must help save mankind from a global catastrophe after the Van Allen radiation belt is set on fire.

In THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, James Bond goes undercover as marine biologist Robert Sterling to investigate Bond Villain Karl Stromberg, who has hijacked nuclear submarines in order to start a nuclear war and kill all of mankind so he can rule the Earth from his sea base at the bottom of the sea.

In the movie VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM of the SEA, Robert Sterling played Capt. Lee Crane, commander of the nuclear submarine Seaview, who must help save mankind from a global catastrophe after the Van Allen radiation belt is set on fire.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
TRIVIA---director Richard Donner is known for the LETHAL WEAPON franchise, SUPERMAN and THE OMEN, but early in his career he directed six episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE including the classic NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET starring William Shatner. The episode was written by famed sci fi writer Richard Matheson and co-starred Christine White, a University of North Carolina graduate who was the girlfriend of James Dean.

Director Richard Donner is known for the LETHAL WEAPON franchise.

Donner directed six episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE including the classic NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET starring William Shatner. The episode was written by famed sci fi writer Richard Matheson and co-starred Christine White, a University of North Carolina graduate who was the girlfriend of James Dean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
TRIVIA---CATWOMAN received four Golden Raspberry Awards in 2005. Star Halle Berry surprisingly appeared at the awards ceremony to pick up her Razzie where she thanked Warner Bros., “for casting me in this piece-of-****, god-awful movie”.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
TRIVIA---in John Frankenheimer's SEVEN DAYS IN MAY scene where President Jordan Lyman is talking to NORAD Gen. Barney Rutkowski on the video screen about tracking the military coup's cargo jets, Gen. Rutkowski is played by film editor Ferris Webster. Webster was film editor on movies including FORBIDDEN PLANET, THE GREAT ESCAPE, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.

In SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, NORAD Gen. Barney Rutkowski is played by film editor Ferris Webster.

Ferris Webster was film editor on movies including FORBIDDEN PLANET, THE GREAT ESCAPE, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.

FORBIDDEN PLANET

THE GREAT ESCAPE

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
TRIVIA---Kate Winslet commented on the movie's soundtrack, “I feel like throwing up when I hear it. No, actually, I do feel like throwing up. I wish I could say, ‘Oh listen, everybody! It’s the Celine Dion song!’ But I don’t. I just have to sit there, you know, kind of straight-faced with a massive internal eye-roll.”

21 - 40 of 79 Posts