AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I decided to watch "Rocky" on DVD. After the movie started it didn't take very long to tell that the DVD transfer was horrible.(Major macro blocking and artifacts) I was disappointed and torn. Should I continue to watch ont the big screen? Of course it makes sense that blowing the picture up for projection shows the flaws of the source material. But I couldn't watch the entire movie . It was too painful. (alright I admit it was Rocky 3)

So my question is, when other AVS forum members watch a movie and realize there is a bad quality transfer, Do you continue to watch on your Projector?

Plus I didn't feel like I should turn it off right away as that practice isnt good for the bulb

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Happens to me also. Very annoying.

As far as the lamp goes: I believe that the taxing part for the lamp is start up, not shut down. Once you've turned the lamp on, the damage has been done. If you won't be watching anything else on your projector for the night, you may as well shut it down.

Fortunately, DVD authouring is much better than it was in the beginning. At least in my case, this seems to always happen with early DVDs - made within the first year or two.

Before I rent any older DVD, I look up the user reviews on Amazon for the DVD - not VHS. Usually if the transfer is hideous, someone will mention it. You can also google the title for professional reviews, but make sure the date of the review is fairly new. When DVDs first came out, they were so far superior to previous technologies, that even reputable reviewers thought that all transfers were great.

Pip

·
Registered
25,026 Posts
I keep watching it ,often in agony. It is sad that I'm that way but being a videophile means that seeing a great quality image adds to the experience and a poor quality one subtracts. If it is my evening I watch it though, even some of the worst. I will say though that when I buy I attempt to get well received transfers of movies I want to see .

Art

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.