AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, some us troops found around $600 million in crisp new dollar bills in Iraq and reported it. Makes me wonder, what movies depict soldiers finding or stealing a fortune during a time of war. Two that come to mind are:

Kelly's Heroes

The Three Kings

Any others?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glass
band of brothers
Huh?

Yeah, they took a bit of stuff when they reached Hitler's place, but that wasn't a "heist" by any measure. More like looting.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amused
Huh?

Yeah, they took a bit of stuff when they reached Hitler's place, but that wasn't a "heist" by any measure. More like looting.
Yeah....lets not count Silver Flatware and some bottles of spirits as a heist...besides, its not like they were going to get much use of them in Nuremberg.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There was a movie called Dead Presidents thats worth a look.

It's about a Viet Nam vet that stages a robbery. Also noteworthy as being the only Chris Tucker movie I've seen which wasn't ruined by his presence.;)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
My friend is a very moral, upstanding, church-going kind of guy and we talked about this finding of the money when the story hit. I asked him flat out how much of the cash he would have taken if it was him, expecting him to protest loudly that he would never do such a thing. He didn't skip a beat and said "Two mil seems like plenty to me." Do ya think those guys helped themselves to a little?? I mean, they're the only ones in the world who know how much cash was really there beside SH himself, and he ain't talking.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Kind of makes me wonder how much those guys really did take.

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this story is kelly's heroes and Three kings.

This definitely beats winning the lottery. Everything is tax free!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" - sort of.

I've never actually seen "War Wagon" but I would guess it counts.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
Kind of makes me wonder how much those guys really did take.

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this story is kelly's heroes and Three kings.

This definitely beats winning the lottery. Everything is tax free!
And Army guys don't go through customs-- though I guess sometimes they are sent home on commercial flights. D'OH!!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
The first thing I thought of when I heard this story was Kelly's Heros also.

On the one hand, if you're with a group of guys that you don't really know that well, it's unlikely that someone is going to step out and pop the question that goes something like "do you guys want to commit a heinous crime with me?".

On the other hand, it certainly would test one's moral strength...

Cary

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcmccorm
The first thing I thought of when I heard this story was Kelly's Heros also.

On the one hand, if you're with a group of guys that you don't really know that well, it's unlikely that someone is going to step out and pop the question that goes something like "do you guys want to commit a heinous crime with me?".

On the other hand, it certainly would test one's moral strength...

Cary
Depends on who was actually there- a lot of army units are pretty tight knit. And I'll go on record and say that if it was me I'd lift a couple million out of 600 in a situation like that and never loose a night's sleep over it. It's weird but true- I wouldn't take a dollar out of a wallet I found in the street even if it had $1,000 in it but I'd help myself to SH's ill-gotten millions in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Soldiers looting goods is not new. This practice had been done for thousands of years. Until recent centuries, wars were fought simply to enrich a country. Who benefits from the spoils of war as poorly-paid soldiers?

In speaking of American soldiers looting, look at "Glory."

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Until recent centuries, wars were fought simply to enrich a country.
Until recent centuries? Ah well, ignorance is bliss..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Until recent centuries? Ah well, ignorance is bliss..
HTCrazy- I think that what Sidhartha is getting at is that, until relatively recently, enrichment alone was reason enough. The trend, now, is to always have a higher purpose.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I'd help myself to a couple of millions in a heartbeat. The question then is, how do we get the it out of Iraq. Anyone thought of that?

In Kelly's heroes, Clint Eastwood had to bribe a lot of people in order to get the loot out. I wonder how one would approach this these days.

·
Registered
28,093 Posts
The outlaws in The Wild Bunch are dressed up as soldiers. Does that count?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.