AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new to HD at home I just bought a plasma (Hitachi 42HDS69) and I have Time Warner HD in NYC with a SA HD8300...Movies in 1080i are fantastic SOOOO much better than anything I have ever seen on DVD!

My question before I invest in a Blu-Ray player is there a BIG difference in Picture quality BTW my Cable HD feed and a Blu-Ray Disc?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl /forum/post/0

Hi guys I'm new to HD at home I just bought a plasma (Hitachi 42HDS69) and I have Time Warner HD in NYC with a SA HD8300...Movies in 1080i are fantastic SOOOO much better than anything I have ever seen on DVD!

My question before I invest in a Blu-Ray player is there a BIG difference in Picture quality BTW my Cable HD feed and a Blu-Ray Disc?

Yes, there will be a nice improvememnt over any Cable/Satellite source for both Picture Quality and also Audio Quality. It will bring new life to your movie viewing experience.

~Josh

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents in as a new BluRay owner the difference to me was very noticeable with a good transfer. I recently purchased Kung Fu Hustle from BB with the BOGO free deal. It also just happened to be on Starz HD the other night, so I was able to do a direct compare between the two.

It was a noticeable difference. I use Comcast cable I am happy with my HD picture from them. But the sound and picture were just so much clearer. Where the HD cable picture looked like a really nice film, the BluRay gave it that 3D pop. I also found the contrast much better on the BluRay player.

It is not the difference between DVD and HD, but put it this way. After just spending money on it to get it on BluRay and then seeing it on cable the next night, I have zero regret about buying the BluRay version.

If it is a movie you might watch just once, wait for the cable HD. If you really like the movie, the upgrade is worth it.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
It has been my experience that HD and BD are improvements over hi-def tv. Audio especially. This will vary with service providers, but it's probably safe to say you will see an improvement. Big difference? Not for me. But I have another cable provider.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKoroshi /forum/post/0

I haven't noticed a huge difference in PQ but audio is definately where its at. BD audio is extremely better. Not all HD channels are the same too.

For some titles (especially earlier releases) the PQ on BD is only marginally better but not on anything released more recently. I do agree though that the audio is the most noticeable improvement on practically all BDs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your feedback! I guess I'm in for some more HD "investment"

I just purchased a 500GB external drive for the HD8300 to expand my recording capabilities, I will wait a few months to see if more of the dual HD DVD & Blu-Ray unit are becoming available (or I will just by the LG)

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmer7 /forum/post/0

I use Comcast cable I am happy with my HD picture from them. But the sound and picture were just so much clearer. Where the HD cable picture looked like a really nice film, the BluRay gave it that 3D pop. I also found the contrast much better on the BluRay player.

Compared Gone in 60 Seconds with my Comcast HD and the BD wins hands down (and the Comcast HD is the best Sat./Cable HD I have seen BTW).

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wouldn't put down Comcast cable too much. I think that blu-ray is on average better then most cable hd. Once exception, that would be Discovery HD, they always bring out content that is jaw dropping. I must say you do get those compression artifacts in fast moving scenes, but some shows seem to have them then others. Start out with titles such as Underworld Evolution, KOH, and Crank. I don't think any station can beat the sharpness of those movies, those are top of the quality movies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.