AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that HD DVD movies were VC-1 coding, but Clerks 2 is mpeg4. Did I miss something? I thought the picture was good, but not great like my other HD-DVD's. I checked the others I bought today (Dazed and Confused, and Van Helsing) and they are VC1. Does anyone think there could be a connection between the fact that Clerks is not as crisp as the other movies I have. Is MPEG 4 not as good as VC1. I am not starting a codec war, just looking to gain some knowledge. I love Kevin Smith, and his movies are great. I hope that when HDDVD wins the war the rest of his movies come out in HD, but until then I will live with UPconverted dvd's and Clerks 2 in HD.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So far all of the Weinstein titles have been mpeg 4. As for the picture quality of clerks 2, I believe that the quality is limited to how the film was intended to look. Im not quite sure why some people expect every hd dvd to be a knockout.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Just got done watching Clerk 2 and it looked great on my display, pretty much exactly how I remember it looking in theaters. HD doesn't automatically make everything look like a Discovery channel documentary (i.e. if the director shoots a movie out of focus, it will still be out of focus on HD DVD). Everyone always argues about OAR and that anything less is against what the director intended but, when it comes to HD pq most expect the image to be as sharp as a pencil, even if it is not what the director intended. All I ask for with HD DVD picture quality is that the image be as transparent as possible to the original theatrical exhibition and, for the most part, that is what we have gotten with HD DVD. I also had the Clerks 2 DVD and, the HD DVD looks many times better, having a much more cleaner and sharper image when compared directly to the DVD.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Interpreter from Universal is also Mpeg4/AVC OT: Chronos is in Mpeg2. I have both and they look really good. I only have Wolf Creek and Matador from Weinstein and both look great - Wolf Creek stands out with some jaw-droppingly detailed closeups. I saw Clerks 2 in theaters and it definitely did not have the sheen as current new releases. A bit oversaturated and soft.

·
Registered
571 Posts
yeah. MPEG4/AVC can look good. But it really depends on the master and the compressionist. But I will not buy anymore all MPEG4/AVC discs. I really prefer VC-1. So far to me the VC-1 encodes looks much superior, sharper and cleaner. I do not love that AVC Codec.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD /forum/post/0

yeah. MPEG4/AVC can look good. But it really depends on the master and the compressionist. But I will not buy anymore all MPEG4/AVC discs. I really prefer VC-1. So far to me the VC-1 encodes looks much superior, sharper and cleaner. I do not love that AVC Codec.

That my thoughts also. It might be that the movies that are intended to look soft just happen to be encoded in mpeg. They stil look better than sd dvd, but I was hoping for that pop like most of the other movies had. Even Miami Vice looked good in the spots it was supposed to. I will check the rest of my HD DVDs to see what they are coded in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff /forum/post/0

So far all of the Weinstein titles have been mpeg 4. As for the picture quality of clerks 2, I believe that the quality is limited to how the film was intended to look. Im not quite sure why some people expect every hd dvd to be a knockout.

Because if I expected less I would have went with BD.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales /forum/post/0

Because if I expected less I would have went with BD.

Neither format should do anything to "color" the PQ. The truth is that like high end audio, HD-DVD should reveal crappy source material, I want it to do that. If you want to correct it, it should be the job of optional and defeatable circuitry in either the player or outboard VidProc.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Reign of Fire is a beautiful transfer. Solid blacks and shadow detail and a very crisp image. The dark scenes don't have any noticable noise that I can see. The grain in the film is just right for a very nice film look.

All and all one of the best transfers I own out of 87 titles. Well worth the import!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.