AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2, 2tb drives with movies on them. Both in the same file server. Just recently whenever I try to access any movies from one of them WMC just sits there with the seek bar showing no time duration for the movie. At a black screen. Movies from the other drive play instantly as they should. I can access this drive perfectly fine just like all my others through windows explorer just fine. No lag or anything like that . Videos will fire right up.

I have no idea wth is going on, I just updated MB but no luck. Its not a codec issue as I have now seperated the drives in media browser to the own sections and all of them do it from the affected drive.

Weird thing is if I let it sit on that black screen for a minute or more the movie will finally start. Never did this before. I have a HDD monitoring program I use on my server and all the smart data and everything is fine for this drive. Everything is excellent. Redid the permissions as well thinking it may have been that.

Stumped.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind I guess it was a codec issue. Reset Sharks to defaults seemed to have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah I was thinking it was something like that but I could access without issue using other methods. Turned out one file did the same thing from the good drive. Then one worked from the "bad drive" . So I reset shark's and all was well. Weird because they were all mkv's with x264. But some worked and some didn't. Oh well its all good now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I wonder if you were running into the same problem I was - whenever I tried to watch a mkv through WMC, the movie would take 1-2 minutes to start (same as you describe); only happened with MKVs. Are you running Win7 x64?

It would only happen with the 64bit WMP; not the 32bit player. For example, if I double clicked the mkv via File/Windows Explorer, it would play fine (file associations to the x32 player). However, using the x64 player (manually, not through WMC), I would also get the same pause.

Turns out, it is related to a Playready issue (I have a CC tuner); and during the pause, LiveTV would stop on my extenders. Apparently, the Microsoft h264 codec (h264 tab in Shark007) does something with with Playready only with the x64 player, which is what WMC uses by default in Win7 x64.

If you switch from the Microsoft codec to, say, LAV, the issue is avoided....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts