AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently upgraded to rtx 3080. And now when watching movies on tv via HDMI, no matter the player every movie stutter a little bit, like micro stutter, but is visible and anoying, no matter if i set hw or software decoding. Previously I had gtx 1070 and everything was working fine on the same specs and rest of the hardware. Some ideas what causing this?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Two things you can try:

On the madVR side (assuming you use madVR), set how many video frames shall be presented in advance to 1 or 3 (madVR settings->rendering->windowed mode and/or exclusive mode).

On the Nvidia side, turn on VSYNC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Two things you can try:

On the madVR side, set how many video frames shall be presented in advance to 1 or 3 (madVR settings->rendering->windowed mode and/or exclusive mode).

On the Nvidia side, turn on VSYNC.
Tried vsync on, and vsync fast no luck. But i set it only for potplayer , u think global will make difference? Ok, found it in potplayer settings. Will try. But maybe u can explain what is causing this? That on older gpu everything was fine, I used default potplayer settings, not even madvr. But now I must try houndred of settings to just be able to watch the movie on tv :p

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're using madVR, so disregard that. Try global, sure. The micro stutter is a known issue with the 2/3-series Nvidia cards, and the two things I mentioned are supposed to take care of it. What driver version are you on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't sound like you're using madVR, so disregard that. Try global, sure. The micro stutter is a known issue with the 2/3-series Nvidia cards, and the two things I mentioned are supposed to take care of it. What driver version are you on?
Always latest :) I think I'm using madvr, I set up pot player with this guide:
and now changed in madvr settingsvideo frames to 1.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OK, let us know if that fixes it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The micro stutter is a known issue with the 2/3-series Nvidia cards
No one find the way to fix this easier way? You buy GPU for a lot of $$$ and u can't watch movie without messing with settings for two weeks? :p

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
But maybe u can explain what is causing this? That on older gpu everything was fine
Updated driver in the newer GPU. That's why I only update my electronics when I really need to!

But I'm right there with you, man. Old ass AMD 1GB GPU in my Windows 7 HTPC was playing 1080p perfectly with MPC-HC, MPC-BE, Potplayer, everything.

Bought a new GPU, EVGA GTX 1660 Ti and movies are stuttering all over the place. The only way I can stabilize it is to set the Windows refresh rate to 23 Hz which is what my regular movies are (23.976 fps).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, let us know if that fixes it :)
I don't know if madvr is working properly with potplayer in terms of settings. To be even able to go in to madvr settings I had to download zip file from madvr site, and run install.bat. I did this once when I set pot plater with that guide, now I wanted to chage this frame to 1, and I couldnt enter madvr settings, I had to install.bat again...

·
Registered
335 Posts
You're doing it right nyorbee

I use MPC-HC instead of potplayer. Similar process to get it installed if memory serves. If it's not working right maybe try that or another player

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're doing it right nyorbee

I use MPC-HC instead of potplayer. Similar process to get it installed if memory serves. If it's not working right maybe try that or another player
When I had GTX 1070, I just installed potplayer, using it on default settings, so dont even a madvr, and everything was working silky smooth, with new GPU I'm messing with this since three weeks now to force it to play nice :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I had GTX 1070, I just installed potplayer, using it on default settings, so dont even a madvr, and everything was working silky smooth, with new GPU I'm messing with this since three weeks now to force it to play nice :p
I am about to send my 3090FE back...This series is sounding more and more like it was rushed to fluff up stocks for that ARM deal and just to have "something" that competed with AMDs new cards...3 months and no VR fix...Valve Index missing / dropped Frames | NVIDIA GeForce Forums...stutters galore....gysync bugs as well as VRR hdmi 2.1 issues.

I've got like 2 weeks left to return it, so hopefully we will see a GREAT QUALITY WORKING DRIVERS BEFORE CES, but considering it's online this year I doubt they will give a ****; they don't have to appease people 1st hand...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I've got like 2 weeks left to return it, so hopefully we will see a GREAT QUALITY WORKING DRIVERS BEFORE CES, but considering it's online this year I doubt they will give a ****; they don't have to appease people 1st hand...
Personally, I wouldn't even give them that long... I'd just return it. The product doesn't work to your satisfaction as it stands currently, so that is more than enough justification to return it. However, if you're concerned about future stock being readily available and are fairly confident they will make the product usable with future iterations of the firmware, then I guess that's a valid consideration to have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's actually my exact concern/main consideration haha, availability is scarce at best! I gave my 1080 to my daughter for xmas lol, so I will have to take back that card and give her a even older card I have laying around for now for her to play Minecraft and Among US (glad she plays crappy graphics games atm lol) with if I return it in a couple weeks...This card is a silicon lottery winner also (it does 2100 OC stable on air)...

I really don't want to return it, but given 3 months without improvement, I fear it may be something that is HW related and they are not wanting to admit that's causing the VR (dropped frames), VRR (flickering), and overall microstutter (after a couple hours of play for me, even when temps never change or at stock clocks) some of us are noticing issues and anything except a recall won't fix that...

·
Registered
117 Posts
New cable. HDMI 2.0 minimum. Crappy China cables. These go bad all the time. Stuttering happened to me twice. Cable change and all is good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts