AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i originally saw ghost in the shell in the theater i wss horribly disappointed, i kept taking the glasses of during different scenes to see if it was a movie that switches off 3d like tron, I could hardly tell there was any 3d at all.

Fast forward to the blu ray release i didn't buy it because of the terrible 3d i saw, i debated for a long time whether to buy the 4k instead. Fast forward couple years, bought the 3d and i think the 3d looks pretty darn good on my oled tv, pleasantly surprised in fact. I guess something with the theater wasn't set-up correct. Same thing happened to me for the release of titanic, it was hardly 3d, but the blu ray looks great, a far cry from what i saw in the theater

Anyone else have experiences like this? When i see a terrible 3d presentation in the theater, i stay away from the blu ray, and this probably hasn't helped with the demise of the format

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was once at some movie, can't even remember which one, and after it's been running a few minutes I'm taking the glasses off and on, and it just looks weird either way. Not really 3D, but not flat either. I'm up near the back of the theater and I look around and a few other people in the theater are turning their heads and removing the glasses as well. Most people are just watching the movie.

I headed out to find the manager, said that something must be wrong, and he says that they must have forgotten to flip the switch. Apparently the projectionist (are they still called that?) is supposed to set the projector for 3D and didn't. I head back and a few minutes later someone walks into the theater, announces that they have to restart the movie, and they give everyone a pass to come back another time as well.

The movie restarts, it's in 3D, and everyone goes home happy that they get a free movie.

So maybe it was something like that; just a glitch that messed up the 3D.

But I've had people say that the movies are better in my house than in the theater. I guess it's the difference between the need for active or passive glasses, maybe the active ones are just better 3D.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geez, well that certainly explains things, no wonder people have abandoned the format. It's funny though,sounds like half the audience didn't even notice it wasn't working, and if that's your first time seeing 3d, it'll probably be your last from being disappointed.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I went to Endgame in 3D Imax and they gave us Real3D glasses. I just didn't think about it. When the movie started, I knew something was wrong and so did the person two seats from me. We went to the lobby, and sure enough, they recognized the issue and gave us different glasses. But they didn't go into the theater to change-out the other glasses. The Real3D glasses did not work right. So I went around trying to explain that people needed to go to the lobby to change glasses. About half the people went out. The rest used their Real3D glasses, and only one person complained, and that was at the end of the movie. This was so bizarre to me, and another nail in the 3D coffin. I can only imagine these people going home and telling others that 3D is a big wasted of time and money...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to Endgame in 3D Imax and they gave us Real3D glasses. I just didn't think about it. When the movie started, I knew something was wrong and so did the person two seats from me. We went to the lobby, and sure enough, they recognized the issue and gave us different glasses. But they didn't go into the theater to change-out the other glasses. The Real3D glasses did not work right. So I went around trying to explain that people needed to go to the lobby to change glasses. About half the people went out. The rest used their Real3D glasses, and only one person complained, and that was at the end of the movie. This was so bizarre to me, and another nail in the 3D coffin. I can only imagine these people going home and telling others that 3D is a big wasted of time and money...
The
It's so bizarre to me, that a theater could have such a mess up, makes you wonder how long that's been going on, but yeah a real 3d killer

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm not too worried. Back in film days when the film broke, that took awhile to get it back together and restart the movie. Never got a pass for that. And I can't remember what movie recently, they just forgot to start it. I think 15 or 20 mins went by before someone started it. That's before the trailers too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts