AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling this out of the Am I Gay thread...

Imagine that you are back in college and have asked out a chick (appropriate word for this discussion, but feel free to substitute the male equivalent). What movie would you take her to see in order to impress her?

To be clear, it isn't just a question of picking a chick flick to make her happy - you want to impress her with your choice of movie.

Note - last time Sal actually did this in college, he took his date to see The Red Balloon. Sadly, it didn't do much to impress the chick in question.

Another note - thinking back, its worth remembering the time some chick took Sal to a movie to try and impress him. I kid you not - the movie was Videodrone. Strange chick. But what guy isn't going to pass up this invitation, "the best thing about the movie is that you get to see Deborah Harry naked?" For those playing at home, Criterion just came out with an amazing versions of this movie. A must buy, even if you aren't trying to impress someone.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If a chick took me right now to see Friday Night Lights, I would be impressed because she would be reading my mind. It's one I am wanting to see very much.

I took a girl to Bridges of Madison County. She couldn't believe I did that.

Worked great.

I took a girl to Pay It Forward and Life is Beautiful. Both times the evening ended with her crying her eyes out. Not highly recommended.

Another movie that did not work out to well was Schindler's List. We had to discuss the movie all evening after watching it.

Now, if we are talking about which movies to take your girl/guy out to and make them horny..........hmmmmmmm.....might be a good follow-up thread.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The Red Violin would be a good choice, or The Joy Luck Club, Before Sunrise would also be an excellent choice. Those are movies that I enjoy a lot but which would go over very well with a female type unit. Oh and if she's into foreign films, Red from the Tres Colours trilogy. You probably couldn't go wrong with Out of Africa either.

Bad choices might include your full set of Hustler's Barely Legal DVDs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i took my girlfriend at the time (wife now) to see "i am sam"....she cried her eyes out.....when the dvd came out i bought it for her as a gift and wrap it along with a box of tissue paper as a joke....

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I figure "Shakespeare in Love" is a good one for this. A lot of women like it and us guys get to see Gwyneth Paltrow naked. :)

--Darin

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cinema Paradiso is my choice. Romantic...wonderful story...great movie. She might even think you're cultured for picking a foreign film. An Italian film to boot.

Quote:
Bad choices might include your full set of Hustler's Barely Legal DVDs.
I would never....not on the first date anyway.

Herm

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Ah too bad, it looks like the musical am I gay thread has been dumped.

As I mentioned in that thead, I took many dates in College to see "La Cage Aux Folles". I had particular success with this one because it seemed to confirm my openmindedness and femine side. And just in case I might have been gay, those dates always seemed to end with a pleasant kind of "sexual preferences" test. ;)

Speaking of "Cinema Paradisio", that was the film I took my wife to on our first date. I fell asleep about half way through, but she ended up marrying me anyway. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Funny, my first wife who was a college French professor took me to both La Cage Aux Folles and also to Cinema Paridisio. I enjoyed them both.

We are now divorced. Go Figure.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
In college I once got a girl I liked, who was staying with me for the night to see a Ziggy Marley concert on campus, to forsake her boyfriend through a combination of *Leaving Las Vegas*, *Before Sunrise*, and lots of talk about unfulfilling relationships. Ah, fond cinematic memories.... ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Honestly, to impress her, take her to a play.

But since this is an AV forum... maybe a period piece. One of those Jane Austin movies. My wife always enjoyed those. Really it depends on the woman. Another possibility is Last of the Mohicans. Plus, it has enough killin to keep us guys interested.

Sooke

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Wasn't a problem for me - when I was in college there was one theater with one screen.

So when I'd ask, "do you want to go to the movies" we never had to discuss which one!

Randy

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GSOgymrat
I think a movie I would take a date to is Best in Show. If they don't get the humor there is no point in any more dates.
"Best in Show" WOULD be a good Litmus test movie. Not only to check her degree of humour impairment, but also her openness to the whole girl-girl thing, that could always evolve to girl-boy-girl thing.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
Funny, my first wife who was a college French professor took me to both La Cage Aux Folles and also to Cinema Paridisio. I enjoyed them both.

We are now divorced. Go Figure.
Scary the way that film leads to matrimony. Maybe one to avoid..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Speaking of "Cinema Paradisio", that was the film I took my wife to on our first date. I fell asleep about half way through, but she ended up marrying me anyway. Go figure.
Don't know about impressing a date, but thanks for reminding me about this wonderfully sweet film. Just added it to my DDD wish list.

htomei

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I'm not counting "Rocky Horror Picture Show" ('cause that's where we met) but I think the first 'date' movie with my husband was "The Wall" at the midnights.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
"Best in Show" WOULD be a good Litmus test movie. Not only to check her degree of humour impairment, but also her openness to the whole girl-girl thing, that could always evolve to girl-boy-girl thing.
HTCrazy, I like the way you think. :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When did we change this thread to: "Movies that will turn your wife/woman/so into a part-time lesbian"? Not that I mind, mind you.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I dated a woman here at home in my Home Theater made air popped pop corn, had sodas and she seen a wide screen movie for the first time, she said she never seen Vertical Limit so that was the movie. Viewing the 39 inch wide screen her eyes nearly popped out. Wallet I had didn't so that's the kind of dates I like, no comercials and most of the discs I can whiz thru the FBI warnigs that close up of the eagle on that Utah butte really did it. Karen said I never thought it could be clear like a open window. She got kissed and she drove herself home date over, money spent next to nothing popcorn and a 12 ounce pepsi. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.