AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear people mention they took specific movies into their stores to test out the plasmas.

Is there a list of movies and scenes that best "challenge" plasmas? Such as testing the blacks by using Scene 13 from Gladiator for example. (I've no idea what that scene is, I'm just using this as an example).

Just wondering if people have recommendations of movies that "push" the limits of plasmas and let people get an idea of how the plasma they are looking at will hold up.

-Juice

·
Registered
476 Posts
"Gollum's Song" video (performed by Emiliana Torrini) on the "LOTR - The Two Towers" DVD contains a montage of many scenes from the movie.

It's very convenient to view many different types of material in just a few minutes.

"Vertical Limit" has been praised (by "Sound & Vision" I think) as one of the best film to video transfers available. Superbit version is available.

Opening scenes of the "The Fifth Element" are often used to check for proper scaling of diagonal lines. Superbit version is available.

Search DVD section of Amazon.com for "superbit" to find 45 DVDs available.

"Dark City" is used for the obvious :)-) type of scenes.

Enjoy!

Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quote:
So basically, superbit dvds are the only ones I should test with?
No, of course not. There are a number of good DVDs that (hopefully!) other forum members will recommend.

I mostly rent DVDs so I don't collect reviews from magazines. Mag reviewers often state what DVDs they used to review video gear and why.

"Widescreen Magazine" has a comprehensive database of DVD info, but I am currently not a subscriber.

Here's a sample: http://db2.widescreenreview.com/dvdreview/FMPro

Mike

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just a thought. Why not try Blade Runner. The dark scenes alone will put

a plasma to the test. Another good one would be Independence Day. The transfer of this movie looks spectacular on my 100" front projector. The colors are crisp and the action at times is very fast. You should be able to see any problems on the screen that might give you pause for thought. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, VB :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Juice

David Katzmaier in his review of the famous Toshiba 1920 x 1080 LCOS set (Sound & Vision, June 2003) made following observations:

- X-Men opening scene, in which Magneto lies in the mud looked flat and lacked detail, his jacked was rendered in a single shade of black

- dark scenes of Depression-era Chicago in Road to Perdition (great movie btw!) were a challenge

- in the same movie, when a child shines a flashlight across the room, there was a "posterized" effect (false contouring) around the light beam

Mike

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike, thanks VB! :)

That's exactly what I'm looking for, a movie(s) that I could take in and view on different plasmas to see how they handle the "tough" spots.

Sounds like I should take a look into some magazines that specifically target these tv's. Mike, do you know any other magazines that I can read that will help me with my current plasma tv research?

thanks!

-Juice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.