AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the early stages of designing a new home. I have the green light on designing in a dedicated home-theater/media room. I am definitely going with a rear projection setup, and probably no more than 8-12 seats due to size/budget constraints.

This setup would be great if I only use the room for movies/TV/xbox, however I estimate I will probably use it 25%+ of the time for sporting events. With my current setup (50" Samsung DLP in 18 x 20 room) I often have 15+ friends over for boxing matches, football games, etc. It seems like sporting events demand a more open environment than a home theater (of the size I can afford) can provide.

What is the happy medium between a dedicated home theater and a sports-bar open type atmosphere. Ideally the room can be isolated for movies, and opened for sports. Is the only option some kind of insulated mobile wall system? Does anyone have a good solution for this problem?

Thanks for any advice/pictures/diagrams/dimensions pointing me in the right direction.

-GD

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
French Doors work wonderfully. If you don't have AS MUCH need for total isolation, you can also use pocket doors.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My room was designed with this trade-off in mind. I have a curved row of 5 Berkline recliners for my front row....my second row I have a couple of tall pub tables with comfortable bar stools. I also have an attached gameroom with pinball machines and darts and a bar. For movie watching, lights off...doors closed...seating in front row. During games, lights on but dimmed (front projection) doors open to game room. Works pretty good for me.

Steve

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had to make a similiar decision with the home I'm currently building, but decided the compromises were too great (for me). The home theater I'm aiming for has a subdued, somewhat isolating feel to it appropriate to watching movies but lacked the fun factor I'd desire for sports and other programs in which what is on the screen is mere background noise for a social event.

So I am building two rooms. A dedicated home theater for movies, and a more festive room with a bar, pool table, and big plasma. The same audio gear, minus the speakers, drives both rooms giving some cost savings, although it is undoubtedly substantially more expensive. But I think I'll be happy with both rooms, which I don't believe would have been true if I'd squeezed everything into one room.

I should also note I'm going with front projection for my home theater, which entails stricter light control and darker walls then the rear projection you say you're planning on using, so you may find having just one room less compromising then I did.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well I had to make the same decesion as you. Ultimatly I decided that it was more important for me to have an open area. So I bought a 50" plasma for the basement. There is a large sofa, and two love seats. Seats 8 if necessary. There is a bar in the back of the room, and a pool and foos ball table. It's a great hang out for football, baseball, boxing, etc... It also worked nicely for watching movies when i was alone or with the wife. After awhile though I decided it just wasn't enough. I ended up getting a drop down screen with a front projector for the times when light control is possible. Now obviously the sounds isn't going to be as good as it would be in a dedicated room, but I wouldn't want it any other way. It still sounds great. I have several bean bag chairs and banana chairs off to the sides of the room that are available when playing videos games and stuff. Keep in mind that a large front projecton set up is best in a dark room. I didn't want to have to have the lights off during the superbowl so I mainly use the PJ for small groups of people.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
I have a room I can open up on a double door. I took the same route as jeeper. I have a couch flanked by 2 recliners in the front row. The back "row" is a pair of tall pub tables with backed barstools. The tables can be moved on the riser to make a square if we want to play cards, left in line to eat, drink, whatever. Works out great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess I am open to front projection I will just have to pay attention to light control.

Jeepers/Best Buy Guy, do you have pictures/diagram of your setup?

-GD

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Hi-

What's a pull tab table? I am interested in pics, too.

Thanks,

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is a picture of my theater. Mentioned earlier in thread, I have Berkline 090 recliners for front row. Great for movie watching. Also have tabes and chairs for second row/over flow seating which are great for events like Super Bowl. We had over 50 people over for the game this year, and the more open layout works great for this. Die-hard fans sat up front...casual watchers sat at tables in the back...those that didn't care too much about the game played pinball in the adjacent room.

Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is a shot of the gameroom. I have 6 pinball machines and a dart board in this 12' x 14.5' area....along with a bunch a beer cans decorating the walls. This is just next to the theater towards the back separated by double french doors.

Steve

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Jeeper,

Any more pics of the theater and bar stool area...... I'm planning on doing something very similar and would appreciate a few more views. Also is the light post a clever use of a support column?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
319 Posts
John,

Yes, that was one of 4 support posts in our basement. I was able to hide th other three in walls....but couldn't hide this one. So, I turned it into a street light. The base is a plastic flower pot cut to fit and turned up-side-down.

Attached is another picture of the theater.

For a long time I was torn....do I build a dedicated theater with no windows, etc. Or build more of an entertainment area. I still have a decent space for movie watching. The room can get very dark when windows closed up. I can shut the doors to the gameroom....and have a nice 7.1 experience in the 16' x 21' space. But also, open everything up during football games for more of a casual party atmosphere. Not the purist theater direction...but works nicely for our family.

Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
I find myself in the same situation , and hte only way to go was to have both. I entertain every sat and sun of the football season, whether it be playing cards or just watching the game.

Here is my unique situation, maybe it will help you.

I want a palce for a shuffle board, foosball table, bar, and a holdem table that seats 12

I will be purchasing the 4805 or the x1

the theater section will be open in the back to teh bar and poker room. When my wife and i want t owatch a movie and have the full experinece we will simply fold up the poker table and move our recliners back to 18 feet. The room is 15x31

the front 15 will be the home theater with movie posters and lighting on dimmers the back 6 feet will be for the bar, and the middle ten will be used for the poker table. this will enable us to watch the games we are betting on while playing poker or doing a few shots. THe other sideof the basement is 11x 31 this will be home to the 20 foot shuffle board and various gym cardio equipment. the space between the two areas will be home to the foosball table. Let me know what you guys think. I hope this helps you spark some ideas for yourself

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheRedknight
Jeeper thanks for the pics, you've got a really cool party room.
You're welcome...and thank you.

One thing you really can't tell from the pictures...Just outside the doorwall at the rear we have our hot tub. When you open the shades on the windows you can see the screen in the theater great from there. I also have outdoor speakers set-up. Durring the Super Bowl, some guest could sit in hot tub and watch/listen to the game!

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.