AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
"Defiance" BD has forced subs that eac3to dumps to a separate sup marked as "Forced":

Subtitles_7_English.sup

Subtitles_7_English_FORCED.sup

Subtitles_8_English.sup

As you've stated, suprip supports filtering subs by "forced" flag if that method is used by the movie authors. Simply load up your sup file; click the SRT tab and check the "only forced subtitles" option.

In the above case, Subtitles_7_English also contains the forced subs and as you'd expect, the ...FORCED.sup file contains only the forced. This was eac3to used via BD Clown .72.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 /forum/post/17316839

"Defiance" BD has forced subs that eac3to dumps to a separate sup marked as "Forced":

Subtitles_7_English.sup

Subtitles_7_English_FORCED.sup

Subtitles_8_English.sup

As you've stated, suprip supports filtering subs by "forced" flag if that method is used by the movie authors. Simply load up your sup file; click the SRT tab and check the "only forced subtitles" option.

In the above case, Subtitles_7_English also contains the forced subs and as you'd expect, the ...FORCED.sup file contains only the forced. This was eac3to used via BD Clown .72.

Thanks, I've updated the master list.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm really interested in this thread, as I often backup my disks (mainly BD), but lose the forced subtitle track.

I've commonly used eac3to to extract the HD video/audio streams, and the PGS streams as well, then re-mux to MKV. I've recently been experimenting with Clown BD though, which simplifies a lot of things. I'm also trying out converting to TS, which seems to be a good format.

What I am having problems with is the forced subtitles. I can check 'Force subtitles' in Clown BD, and have confirmed that I get an extracted .sup and .sub files, which if I open in BDSup2Sub, I can verify they are the correct forced subtitles with timestamps, but Clown BD (which uses tsMuxer) doesn't automatically seem to remux the subtitles back into the completed TS file, and I can't see an option to enable this.

Is there a preferred way to do this, or is there some step I'm missing? Certainly MPC-HC and TMT3 don't show the subs when playing back the TS file.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 /forum/post/17617059

Is there a preferred way to do this, or is there some step I'm missing? Certainly MPC-HC and TMT3 don't show the subs when playing back the TS file.

You can try my GUI:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

It uses "eac3to" and "BDSup2Sub". It has forced sub detection and will mux them back in to the final MKV using MKVMerge.

Note: it re-encodes lossless audio to FLAC by default. You can then playback with MPC-HC. I don't know about any other player.

BTW Stryker412 "Angles and Demons" has a bunch of forced subs.

Mike

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I use TMT3 and MPC-HC build 1285. I use clown-bd to rip to ISO.

When using the built-in MPC demuxer, subtitles work fine with ripped titles. I don't use this. I use the arcsoft demuxer which means I have to load the target subtitles file at the start of the movie, which is fine and works well.

TMT3 also is able to show them on ripped titles w/o any tweaks other than sometimes having to select the subs via right-click menu.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/17617480

You can try my GUI:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

It uses "eac3to" and "BDSup2Sub". It has forced sub detection and will mux them back in to the final MKV using MKVMerge.

Note: it re-encodes lossless audio to FLAC by default. You can then playback with MPC-HC. I don't know about any other player.

BTW Stryker412 "Angles and Demons" has a bunch of forced subs.

Mike

Brilliant! This is the first front end I've seen that actually handles forced subs as intended. I've tried ripping/remuxing two movies I had problems with, and the forced subs were detected and remuxed into the final MKV perfectly.

I'm happy to stay with MKV using this method. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
District 9 has forced subs.

Ingourious Basterds has forced subtitles...But they are burned into the image. So not issues with rips.

Mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Doesn't Angels and Demons have forced subs? Didn't see it in the list. All of you have helped so much, I finally was able to chip in. ;-)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Does Hidalgo really have forced subs? No program I have indicates that it does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I came across this thread while searching for a way to backup my recent purchase of the Bourne Trilogy and capture the forced english subtitles. All 3 of the movies have "forced captions", but they really aren't forced, just in a separate file of their own.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutzy /forum/post/17843182

All 3 of the movies have "forced captions", but they really aren't forced, just in a separate file of their own.

Those are the tricky ones to catch...Gran Torino was the same way...I think it's a Warner Brothers thing...They still like VC-1 encoding too.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/17843262

Those are the tricky ones to catch...Gran Torino was the same way...I think it's a Warner Brothers thing...They still like VC-1 encoding too.

So what do we have to do with those ones?

41 - 60 of 930 Posts