AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy some dynaudio audience bookshelfs from a member on here, also have an interest on audiogon for some Pardigm mini 3se mkiii's, similar pricing although the paradigms are less expensive. I'm upgrading from a sony DA555ES reciever powering a bose AM10, I purchased a Yamaha RX-Z1 and would like to upgrade to some nice bookshelfs (not much room in my 1br condo living room home theater) like dyn or paradigm but I also want to hear what you very kind guys have to say. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Dayton in-walls for the rears, as my couch butts right up against the wall. When I buy a home I'd probably get the tower version of whatever bookshelfs I get and turn the front three I buy now into rear speakers.

So... Dynaudio Audience 42 & 42c?

Paradigm mini 3se's?

Save & wait & get Dynaudio Confidence bookshelfs?

Thanks x 1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
You have a great receiver. You'll have these speakers for fifteen years or more, most likely. Forget about a few hundred bucks difference and buy the ones you like the best. Years later, no one has ever looked at a speaker and said "Jeez, I really should have bought the cheaper one..."

They're both excellent brands. Always get the best you can.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/15483413

You have a great receiver. You'll have these speakers for fifteen years or more, most likely. Forget about a few hundred bucks difference and buy the ones you like the best. Years later, no one has ever looked at a speaker and said "Jeez, I really should have bought the cheaper one..."

They're both excellent brands. Always get the best you can.

Come on Paul. Don't wimp out. Tell us which brand is best with his receiver. Will it drive either of those speakers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor v.5's, and I really like them. That said, I feel they're a tad on the bright side, and I'm planning on moving upmarket and replacing them with Studio 20's, and moving the Mini's to the back as surround speakers.

Now that I've said that, I feel you should listen to the speakers back to back (A/B/X test would be great), if possible, and see which you like better. As Paul said, a good set of speakers will last you quite some time; speaker technology hasn't changed all that rapidly, especially compared to that of receivers and media sources (VHS/DVD/Blu-ray). Good luck, let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had dyns in my car and loved them, I prefer a softer tweeter too. How do i find a local dealer where I could audition them?

Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 /forum/post/15490168

Come on Paul. Don't wimp out. Tell us which brand is best with his receiver. Will it drive either of those speakers.

Call me a wimp again, and I'll pinch your cheeks 'til the vessels break, you brute. And then I'll slap you with my fanny pack.

Actually, they'll both work well, and it becomes a matter of what he likes, the room, and how loud they'll be played. They're two great brands, and I wish I didn't mean that...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks paul! I found a pretty serious deal on the paradigms I might go that route, just have to find a good center to pair with it. any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-11 /forum/post/15494398

thanks paul! I found a pretty serious deal on the paradigms I might go that route, just have to find a good center to pair with it. any recommendations?

Use a center that's as close in design to the left and right speakers as possible. Keep in mind that the perfect center is the one IDENTICAL to the left and right. Is there a Paradigm center version of what you're looking at?

Best of luck. I'm off to CES for the day, to hang with depressed, near-suicidal, whining contemporaries...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts