AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just had to move; our new place is great, but I am having issues melding the old HT system to the new layout.

Is it feasible (and affordible) to throw on an additional lens (or replace) so I get a larger screen size from a shorter throw distance?

I want to fill a 150" screen from appx. 13'. Currently the pj is limiting me to about 1/2 that size. I am shooting with a sanyo z-5.

Limitations:

This is a rental, I cannot knock down walls or the arch I would have to shoot through to go farther back.

I really want to avoid a ceiling mount that would have to be behind the previously mentioned arch (actually a brilliant opening w/ pocket doors that slide for closure of room.) We will be viewing from behind the arch into the room with the av equipment.

If it is the only solution, are there retractable/ swinging mounts that would keep pj flush w/ ceiling when not in use?

Thanks everybody! I am open to any and all work arounds.

Howie

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
So, 13' back is as far back as you can go?

Wouldn't that mean that your seating distance would be less than that?

If so, I think 150" will be too big (that's the first time I've ever said that).

If not, do you have any pics or a diagram?

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by howietawny /forum/post/14327598

My wife and I just had to move; our new place is great, but I am having issues melding the old HT system to the new layout.

Is it feasible (and affordible) to throw on an additional lens (or replace) so I get a larger screen size from a shorter throw distance?

I want to fill a 150" screen from appx. 13'. Currently the pj is limiting me to about 1/2 that size. I am shooting with a sanyo z-5.

Limitations:

This is a rental, I cannot knock down walls or the arch I would have to shoot through to go farther back.

I really want to avoid a ceiling mount that would have to be behind the previously mentioned arch (actually a brilliant opening w/ pocket doors that slide for closure of room.) We will be viewing from behind the arch into the room with the av equipment.

If it is the only solution, are there retractable/ swinging mounts that would keep pj flush w/ ceiling when not in use?

Thanks everybody! I am open to any and all work arounds.

Howie

You are going to view a 150" screen from behind an arch? Will you even be able to view the whole screen?

Craig

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Craig and Stew,

The pj will be 13' back, or through the arch.

We will be through the arch, and yes, I have checked sight lines. The seating will work (for at least two of us.)

I just don't want to assemble a mechanism to hang the pj in behind the arch. More power cable and video cable ick! Which means I will probably do it anyway, because that is what life seems to be; doing things we don't really want to do.

I will see about getting a diagram or pic for you, Stew. Until then, imagine two fairly identical 13'x13' rooms, next to each other. In between them is a wall shaped like a "capital c" on it's side, or "lower case n." The distance from top of "arch (it is at right angles)" to ceiling is about 18". The width of the opening is nearly 6', with about 4' of solid wall on the left and right.

Thanks guys,

Howie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts