AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch here. If so, could you point me to some informative threads?
I have a new Sonos system and a large NAS server. I would like to transfer my CD collection to the server so that Sonos can play them.
What would be the best software or device to do this with the least pain?
I have used Audigy to convert my reel-to-reel tapes to .flac files for Sonos, but do not know if that software would be the best bet to transfer my CDs.
Sonos tech. says: "...important is the format that you rip into. We only support .flac and .alac in 16 bit at 1411 kbps anything higher will fail.
Thank you, Richard

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I rip everything on my desktop using JRiver, and EAC for badly scratched discs. I convert and tag etc, then use TeraCopy to transfer them to my server. I do the same for movies too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently came across this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/1415758-what-s-best-cd-ripping-software.html

dbpoweramp (about$40) and exact audio copy (EAC) (free) seem to both be highly recommended. dbpoweramp has the advantage of being able to simultaneously rip to lossless and compressed, so you get an archive copy and a copy for portable media player.
Thanks for the quick response.
I'll check out the link.
What does tagging accomplish after ripping the CDs?
BTW, the Sonos tech. responded to me about formats:
"what's important is the format that you rip into. We only support .flac and .alac in 16 bit at 1411 kbps anything higher will fail."

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rip everything on my desktop using JRiver, and EAC for badly scratched discs. I convert and tag etc, then use TeraCopy ...
If you can afford the time, I would like to know what tagging accomplishes, i.e., why do it? Is it necessary when ripping store bought CDs for use on a Sonos system into .flac files?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
If you can afford the time, I would like to know what tagging accomplishes, i.e., why do it?
It identifies what type of music it is as well as as metadata such as album covers, lyrics etc. It facilitates creation of playlists and to sort through what titles I have if I'm looking for something specific, I can easily narrow the selections down, eg Classical, piano, or 1970's, hits, random. There is no need for anyone to do it, but it adds subsatntially to the experience of selection of what you're going to listen to when you have a nice front end to present it like JRiver (amongst others). As many programs can do it all automatically in the background, and it adds only a couple of % data overhead (and storage is cheap), I see no reason why anyone would not want to do it.

Is it necessary when ripping store bought CDs for use on a Sonos system into .flac files?
No idea, never used a Sonos. I built my own server and playback chain.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
"what's important is the format that you rip into. We only support .flac and .alac in 16 bit at 1411 kbps anything higher will fail."
Really? That's very limiting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It identifies what type of music it is as well as as metadata such as album covers, lyrics etc. It facilitates creation of playlists and to sort through what titles I have if I'm looking for something specific, I can easily narrow the selections down, eg Classical, piano, or 1970's, hits, random. There is no need for anyone to do it, but it adds subsatntially to the experience of selection of what you're going to listen to when you have a nice front end to present it like JRiver (amongst others). As many programs can do it all automatically in the background, and it adds only a couple of % data overhead (and storage is cheap), I see no reason why anyone would not want to do it.

No idea, never used a Sonos. I built my own server and playback chain.
So, that info. is not included in a store-bought CD; I have to add tags to have the classifications, album art, etc. that you mention????
Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
So, that info. is not included in a store-bought CD; I have to add tags to have the classifications, album art, etc. that you mention????
Correct. However as you rip the tracks to a folder off a given album, name it in the convention of the application you are using, eg, Dire Straits, Dire Straits (1978) and the apps will search known databases, get the metadata and tags, album art etc as well as doing a variety of checksums to ensure an accurate rip. When you use the Sonos, it should recognise these images and data and display them in a nice way for you to choose. Here is one free example, Kodi to give you an idea what they look like. Not sure how Sonos does this, but it should be similar.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct. However as you rip the tracks to a folder off a given album, name it in the convention of the application you are using, eg, Dire Straits, Dire Straits (1978) and the apps will search known databases, get the metadata and tags, album art etc as well as doing a variety of checksums to ensure an accurate rip. When you use the Sonos, it should recognise these images and data and display them in a nice way for you to choose. Here is one free example, Kodi to give you an idea what they look like. Not sure how Sonos does this, but it should be similar.
Got it. Sounds like I won't have to create or invent the tags, but the software, e.g., dbpoweramp, will create the tags for me and grab the cover art, etc.
I plan to buy dbpoweramp and start creating the .flac collection for Sonos to use.
Thanks for your help, Richard

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! dbpoweramp is wonderful. Intuitive and fast. Love it.
RO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts