AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to COPY programs from my 4160 to my 4320? I bought a new box, and want to sell my old one, and don't want to lose some of my recorded shows.

In the in-home connection, it appears that you can only WATCH the shows off the other box's harddrive. I can find no mechanism to COPY the file from the 4160 to 4320.

Using the SEND feature, I encounter other problems. I am behind a firewall with NAT transalation (my IP address looks like 192.168.0.xyz). I can not even connect either box in this configuration, even if I open a port on both boxes and on my firewall. I connected one of the systems directly to my cable modem without a firewall and NAT, and I was able to successfully get the boxes to see each other. But I can't move files unless both boxes are outside the firewall. That sounds really good. But then I am limited to 128KB uplink speeds (which is simply intolerable for what I want to transfer, given that I am supposed to ship the system shortly).

How can I COPY files from a 4160 to a 4320 with both boxes in the same room (at 10mbs) - without the files actually having to be uploaded to the internet at speeds below 128KB?

And does anyone have any hints on how to get NAT and my firewall to pass programs between boxes in normal SEND mode at the slower speed?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
A working[1] firewall/NAT system should be able to let you do IVS sharing between your units at local speed, with only the initial name resolution going.

Yes, there are apparently an awful lot of broken[1 again] NAT systems out there. Some of them can be fixed, but you'll have to tell us more before we can offer any concrete advice about that -- what's doing your NATting for you?

[1] I stand by my definitions, dangit. If you tell a NAT system to forward connections to address X port Y to internal address Z, it ought to *do* it, wherever the connections come from. At the very least, it ought to give you enough flexibility to do it, even if it doesn't do so by default. Saying that it'll forward for everyone *except the person who owns it* is just broken.

Another option would be to pull the drives and use RTVPatch to copy over the 4160's data to the 4320's drives.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My firewall is a DLink DI-704, configured basically as shipped. It connects either to a cable modem or a DSL line, whichever I choose to hook up.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I can't find anything helpful in the (online) manual...but maybe someone else here has one of those?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
How many shows are you trying to move?

It would be a rather simple and relatively quick matter to dd the first 80 GB to drive "one" of the 4320 and then patch. Of course... this is only if the warranty is up, etc. . But it would preserve the normal folder structure and settings.

However if it's only a few shows... then sending possibly might be easier if you can work out those issues.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As an alternative, uou could use SwapDv and d/l the files in question to a networked PC and then stream them back to the new Replay when you want to watch them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently went through this drill with my two 4320s and a LinkSys Router. After LONG conversations with both SonicBlue and LinkSys tech support I finally got it to work. I first had to assign manual IP addresses to each of my 4320s (the router address + 1 and the router address + 2). I then had to assign open ports to those two addresses using the LinkSys router configuration software. There was a little trial and error involved in finding good port numbers. (10000 worked, 10001 did not, 20000 did not, 11000 did). Eventually, I was able to list each 4320 in the other's Internet Address Book. I sent a few programs from one unit to the other. The sending unit said that the transfer was complete almost instantaneously. When I checked the other unit, it had some pretty strange anomolies in the Replay Guide of the receiving unit, and it would not let me access shows on the sending unit, even though the shows were displayed on the guide. I deleted the "anomoly" listings on the receiving unit, and I could then access shows stored on the sending unit (normal operation). Subsequently, I noticed a "Receive" tab on the receiving unit that listed the shows sent from the sending unit, and asked for an acknowledgement to down load them. I acknowledged a few, then went to bed. I can't tell you how fast they downloaded, but the next morning it looked like they all transferred ok. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help... still looking for more...

I kept trying tonight. Just like tycedeano, I also had much trouble getting port numbers to work. One unit would accept 12345 as a valid port. The other didn't work until I changed it to 12344.

Then I put the 4160 on my dsl and my 4320 on my cable modem, both without a firewall, and I am able to get the files to move both directions. Unfortunaely my uploads are slightly less than 128K, so my guess is it will take around 17 hours of uploading at optimum speed to transfer a single hour of programming. The encouraging thing is that I CAN send, even at an impossibly slow speed. I couldn't do this yesterday, or without your help. Now I will shift back to being on a firewall on the same line and see if the upload speed can be avoided simply by the units being on the same 10 mbs net segment. I doubt it, but have to try.

I don't (yet) have the skills to use SwapDV or dd. I assume that both of these requires me to open the boxes? If not, please point me to the thread telling how to perform these tasks.

I don't want to open the boxes. The 4320 is brand new. I'd rather not void my warranty on my third day of possession. And I want to sell my 4160, and assume that a buyer might value the unit less if the sticker is gone or the warranty is void.

I am trying to move 8-20 hours of programming, depending on the difficulty and duration of the task.

Any new suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
SwapDV is PC software that allows extracting and streaming between PC's and Replays. You don't have to open the Replay or even do any extra setup on it. Search the threads and download it. It's an amazing piece of work!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 925
I don't (yet) have the skills to use SwapDV or dd. I assume that both of these requires me to open the boxes? If not, please point me to the thread telling how to perform these tasks.
This lengthy thread talks about how to use Swapdv as well as containing the necessary PC downloads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=116035

No box opening required, although I'm not sure how well the streaming will work over a 10mb network.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tycedeano
I recently went through this drill with my two 4320s and a LinkSys Router. After LONG conversations with both SonicBlue and LinkSys tech support I finally got it to work. I first had to assign manual IP addresses to each of my 4320s (the router address + 1 and the router address + 2). I then had to assign open ports to those two addresses using the LinkSys router configuration software. There was a little trial and error involved in finding good port numbers. (10000 worked, 10001 did not, 20000 did not, 11000 did). Eventually, I was able to list each 4320 in the other's Internet Address Book. I sent a few programs from one unit to the other. The sending unit said that the transfer was complete almost instantaneously. When I checked the other unit, it had some pretty strange anomolies in the Replay Guide of the receiving unit, and it would not let me access shows on the sending unit, even though the shows were displayed on the guide. I deleted the "anomoly" listings on the receiving unit, and I could then access shows stored on the sending unit (normal operation). Subsequently, I noticed a "Receive" tab on the receiving unit that listed the shows sent from the sending unit, and asked for an acknowledgement to down load them. I acknowledged a few, then went to bed. I can't tell you how fast they downloaded, but the next morning it looked like they all transferred ok. Hope this helps.
Quick update: I checked the timing of the transfers last night, and they were about equal to the time it would take to stream the shows (30 minutes for a 30 minute show recorded at medium quality (about 800MB, I think).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 925
I kept trying tonight. Just like tycedeano, I also had much trouble getting port numbers to work. One unit would accept 12345 as a valid port. The other didn't work until I changed it to 12344.
This jives with what the LinkSys tech rep told me. I'm a techno-peasant when it comes to networking, but he said that each IP address had to be assigned a unique port number, if they were going to be accessing the port simultaneously (which they would be, if they are transferring files to each other).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SwapDV works as advertised. (Thanks Robbo!) I was able to drag some of my shows off of the box. Now they are on my PC. So now I can watch TV on my PC, instead of my bigscreen. Or I can stream them back to my 4320 for viewing (but they don't actually get stored on the hard drive).

Has any one figured out how to move the *.mpg files on to a ReplayTV box (via the network interface - and not by opening the box)?

Tonight I will try another run at moving them on my local network with my DLink firewall. I have not exhausted the approach that tycedeano offered, although (as he noted) it is VERY painful to make progress. The ReplayTV boxes seem so finicky.

Thanks for the continuing advice. I am using it and very much appreciate the support you have all been offering me!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I know a couple ways to just get files onto the box without opening it, but that doesn't help any without getting the data into the guide. those're just files too, but I'm too chicken to try updating those myself, while it's running.

an IVS emulator could certainly do it -- see today's additions to the never-ending swapdv thread on what makes that a little difficult to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.