AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about selling my 52a650 and either getting a 5020 or pro111

how much of a difference would you anticipate moving from arguably this years best non led based lcd to these plasmas?

also i like to tweak, but im not a guy who will do it obsessively. will what the 5020 offers be sufficient. i plan on having a certified ISF guy come out and do the contralcal calibrations

basically im just looking for a set that will make me happy. had a 60a3000 with geometry issues, have a 650 with clouding. i just want to get a tv and not find anything noticeable that will distract me from enjoying my purchase

will the 5020 fith the bill, or do i absolutely have to have a 111. i would be more willing to get the 6020 for about th esame price as the 111 if im spending that kind of money

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well I went from an 1150 Elite to the 650 and had the 650 calibrated by UMR (Accucal). The 650 is very competitive to the 1150 when calibrated. The 650 cannot compete with the 111 from what I have seen. I too am selling my 650 for a 111 or 101. Now I just need to think of what a calibrated 650 might go for to the right buyer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my main beef with my 650 is the clouding. i know its there and can see it all the time even though ive turned the backlight way down.

i just think that lcd's right now cant touch these kuros, and im looking for the best possible picture and black levels with no uniformity, or clouding problems

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ideally id like the elite, but i dont really feel its worth the 1k premium over the 5020. i could be way off in this regard, but thats alot of money for a tv, especially when the 5020 price keeps creeping lower and lower

that price difference is almost half of another 50 inch kuro next year or the year after

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are the color accuracy comments blown out of proportion? i know the 5020 will look great and after its been calibrated using controlcal, unless thats not the case

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 /forum/post/15418847

ideally id like the elite, but i dont really feel its worth the 1k premium over the 5020. i could be way off in this regard, but thats alot of money for a tv, especially when the 5020 price keeps creeping lower and lower

that price difference is almost half of another 50 inch kuro next year or the year after

but you will take a hit on the cost of the sammy no matter what you do, do you want to go through that again when you are second guessing the picture on the 5020 (unless it blows your doors off)? I could put a Westinghouse in every room of my house for the price of an elite, but would I be happy with the picture?

I'm not trying to sway you towards the elite, but in your shoes, thats what I'd be thinking about. ymmv

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true, but beyond the colors of the 5020 is there anything that i would regret. ive been killed with uniformity, bowing, and clouding on lcds

i have a rs1 projector for reference and that suffers from oversaturated colors, but i love the pic it throws

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I have a 650 and will be adding the Elite 151 in the next few days. I too had my 650 calibrated by umr and he will be here next month to calibrate the 151. The 650's picture is just too good to get rid of. My ONLY beef with the 650 is the direct viewing you need, as with all LCD.

With the 151 we will get more spread out in my TV room and everyone will see the same awesome picture.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what made you go elite then if youre so pleased with the 650. obviously 8" bigger, but what else

deosnt yours have clouding on an all black image, even if it takes a second or two to see?

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Like I said. The direct viewing you have to have with any LCD. When I have people over to watch a game, I want everyone to see the same picture. Not just the one or two with the best seat that are right in front of the tv.

I have 2 tv rooms (one smaller) that is where the 650 will go. That picture is soooooo accurate. I do not want to give that one up.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so do you not have any clouding whatsoever? i would get it professionally calibrated, but it still seems like the slight clouding would still annoy me

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubz4lif3 /forum/post/15419237

can some1 answer my question! i have a credit card in my hand just trying to choose between the a650 lcd and the panny.

Flip a coin.lol

Look at my post in this thread and you will see my gripe with the LCD. It is the ONLY gripe.

If you have the same concerns and will have a lot of people watching your tv, then get the Plasma.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The 650 is a great TV, I'd get one myself but the glare from the glossy screen is a deal-killer.

That being said, you won't have the same level of control over the 5020, but the picture should be noticeably better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.