AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own the Sharp 10K with a 54"x96" Fire-Hawk screen.

The projector is sitting on a shelve which is located 2m above the floor, and I use the manual lens shift to lower the projected image.

I always felt that the image, once using the H.contrast mode (2600:1 with 500Ansi), was on the dim side.It wasn't the low contrast dark scenes I was troubled by, but rather those bright scenes which always had a "late afternoon" look to them.

I had a chance to compare the FH with a Da-Lite 2.2 gain screen which was placed right beside the FH.

I looked at a lot of material for a total of 8 hours spread on two consecutive nights, I even had a friend over, a CRT veteran for this evaluation.

Not once did we prefer the FH!

The 2.2 screen was brighter, the image had more punch to it, the colors looked very vivid and it handled dark scenes/low contrast material extremely well. It was like looking at a very dim rear projection TV on one side and a very crisp, punchy, contrast direct TV screen on the other.

Now I have decided to go with the new Sharp 12K.

The new Sharp will have three Iris modes. The Sharp's highest contrast mode will have a 5000:1 contrast ratio with ONLY 300 Ansi. This spec leads me to believe that what I saw above will be even more useful with the 12K and the right screen for this projector will be definitely a higher gain screen a la 2.2 gain screen.

Accordingly I am thinking of selling the FH and purchasing a 2.0 gain screen from Stewart.

More Over, apparently Sharp was using a 2.2 gain screen at CEDIA to show off the 12K

I am troubled by two things:

1. The projector current placement. It is situated on a shelve, 2m above the floor, and I use the lens shift to lower the image.

For the above test I did not change the projector's placement and it seemed that it did not have a bad effect on the 2.2 gain.

I ask this because I remember that it is recommended that a projector should be table mounted for higher gain screens.

2. The future. Because I tend to replace a projector every year, I'm thinking that this type of screen may not suit the next bunch which will probably have higher light output, then again one can always use an ND filter to reduce light.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Best,

Ran

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If the 12K truly does come close to 5000:1 CR at 300 lumens, the Silverstar might be the best choice. The thing I would like to see before making that recommendation, is how much the Silverstar lightens up the blacks of this particular PJ.

There is no doubt that the Silverstar will show you the brightest/punchiest colors and will open up the shadows better than any other screen I have seen, and by a large margin.

Some AVS'rs with HD2 PJs are just now installing Silverstars. Their feedback may help guide your decision.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ran,

IMHO opinion you are heading in the right direction.Most people who do side by side comparos come to the same conclusions.

Think how much better 3.1 gain is than 2.0 ,if viewing distance and conditions are right.

Think of how Tryg found DaLite Hi Power gave Silverstar a run for performance.

Think of how much less it costs.

Then buy a new Samsung HDVD(WM9) player out shortly.That will up pic more than any other move.

Still more money is left over for further improvements.

Many people in your situation......moan about lack of punch.

Sucker punched by the numbers game......that didnt add up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Guys,

I completely forgot about my post, but I'm glad it was bounced back.:)

Ever since my post I have been seeking advice from very experienced people who shared the same opinion of going for the High Power screen instead of a 1.3 Gain or sticking with the Fire-Hawk.

I'm convinced (and others) that if one would wish to use the 12K's highest contrast mode (5000:1) , a mere 300Ansi would look very dull on the Fire-Hawk.

For the last few days I'm busy in calculating angles for this High Power screen and it seems like I'll enjoy a nice part of the 2.8 Gain, something like 1.8/1.9, with out problems of Hot Spotting.

I'll be sure to write a full detail review once the 12K and the High Power arrive.

Thanx

Ran

·
Registered
354 Posts
Should be a great combo, my PJ is mounted ~6ft of the ground and I have a real hard time noticing any loss of gain from my high power.

Looking forward to your review!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
The high power will be a good choice! The Silverstar would be good if you required wider viewing cone. There may be a new deal coming up

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Before I got my Sharp 10K I did some A/B tests with the High Power vs. Firehawk. I found that although the image was sharper and more defined on the HP, the blacks were significantly blacker on the FH and colors were more saturated.

However these tests were done with an older SVGA pj so I don't know if it was fair of me to draw conclusions that results with the 10K would have been similar.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did you compare samples or full screens?

The gain diiff (3.1 vs 1.35) should weaken any black/color sat conclusions.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ok,

Invalidate.:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
How much worse would the black level be from a Panasonic AE300 on a matte white 1.0 gain screen compared to a 2.0 gain? I have a matte white screen now, and its decent, but black level isn't impressive (pj's fault, i know). So would black level appear much worse on a 2.0 screen?

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mad_arab
How much worse would the black level be from a Panasonic AE300 on a matte white 1.0 gain screen compared to a 2.0 gain? I have a matte white screen now, and its decent, but black level isn't impressive (pj's fault, i know). So would black level appear much worse on a 2.0 screen?
Whatever light is hitting the screen now in your black areas would basically be doubled. If there is minimal light to begin with, doubling isn't too bad (for example 1 * 2 only equals 2 compared to 1). But if blacks aren't great to begin with you'll likely make it considerably worse (5 * 2 = 10, 5 vs 10 bigger difference).

·
Registered
502 Posts
That was what I feared :(

I'll wait for the AE500 review, and if black level is considerably better than AE300, I might be able to use 2.0 gain still if i get a AE500.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
mad_arab,

Although lovingdvd's statement about the blacks being twice as bright is true, that does not tell the entire story. We can perceive contrast better than we perceive absolute light levels, so during mixed composition scenes, the blacks on the higher gain screen do not truly look 'twice as bright' because your eyes still pick the bright part as the reference point. Other than the rare night or cave scene where you are looking at near complete darkness, most images contain a few brighter reference points.

The bottom line is that you would notice your black level rise, but it would not seem like 2x as bad during 90% of the scenes you view. Personally, I would be more concerned with controlling room reflections to keep from degrading perceived contrast.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Good points Assayer. I think what it comes down to though is that if he is already unsatisfied with the black level my guess is that he's going to be even less satisified with the black level on the 2 gain screen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.