AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5" x 12" heating supply duct that goes under two of my floor joists in the basement. This is the only spot in the soon to be home theater where anything hangs below the joist level. I am going to sheetrock the ceiling and rather than box in this duct work I would rather move it.

I want to glue and screw a three foot section of 2x10 to each floor joist right where the heat duct is. I then want to cut a 2.5" x 12" rectangle in the bottom of each joist so I can move the heat duct up flush with the joist. The accompanying drawing shows it even better. In essence the piece I screw and glue on is to reinforce the joist before I then cut out a section of it.

I am not a structural engineer so I did not know if what I am proposing is OK. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Floor joist cut.pdf 20.6689453125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I'm not an SE either, but I think you'd have to run the sisters the full length of the span. Might not be required, but that's the only way I've ever seen it done.

If you can go short, use bolts and plates instead of glue-and-screw.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
This might give you some ideas, (particularly the link about notching vs the pic about notching) but shouldn't be considered advice of any kind.
http://www.bobgolds.com/FloorJoist/home.htm

Another concern may be fire/dryout if this is a hot air duct.

BTW, is it safe to presume that there's a room wall above the dividing joist -- and that you couldn't simply go UP without going through the joist?

Alternatively, you could go UP, and then THROUGH the wall upstairs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.