AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of my Panny AX100E and am super happy with it in terms of brightness and picture, but..


There is a (white or sometimes black) horizontal line that moves up (and sometimes down) the screen. Once you have noticed it is does your head in.


I am sure this is some very well documented problem but without knowing what it is called I cannot search the forums for it. All setting exactly as they came out of the box.


thanks

chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I had the same condition (while watching cable) with my new installation. The cause was a 25 foot component cable (high quality 25Ft 3-RCA Component Video Cable (RG-59/u)).


After switching to a 12 foot cable provided by Comcast, the interference disappeared.


This is an ongoing issue, since I need a 25 foot cable! I've contacted the supplier of the cable and asked for advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Response from Technical Support:


"Sometimes subtle interferances in the signal will be amplified in a longer cable run. Try making sure that you are avoiding crossing any power lines, speakers and other sources of interferance. Use a power conditioner for your equipment if available. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehertz3 /forum/post/0


Response from Technical Support:


"Sometimes subtle interferances in the signal will be amplified in a longer cable run. Try making sure that you are avoiding crossing any power lines, speakers and other sources of interferance. Use a power conditioner for your equipment if available. "

Cable boxes are notorious for ground loop problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Try Belden 1694A.


I did a 200ft (!!) run of component at 1080i for my outdoor theater with no problems. Barely noticeable ghosting of letters on a computer screen if looking at the screen up real close, but absolutely invisible unless you're looking for it.


RG-59 is not a great cable for long video runs. RG-6 is better (Belden 1694A is an RG-6 by basic type) but so many other factors matter in the design of a cable.


///Leif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I've seen that caused by lamp dimmers as well. Certain lighting setting can throw a lot of noise on the power line that can interfere with the video.


The reason the line moves slowly is because the video vertical refresh rate is 60 hz and the power line (assuming North America) is 60 hz. The two frequencies are not tied together so they are slightly different, causing the line to slowly move up or down.


In any case it's not likely to be coming from a problem in the projector itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
I had/have two horizontal lines that behaved as you said. I tried many things and could not get it to go away. I finally found out what was causing it. I have a dimmer switch in another room. When the lights on that switch are anything but off or full bright I get the line. So now I just ensure the lights in the other room are off or completely on when I am in the HT.


The outlet for the PJ is on a dedicated line. All my basement lines are fed into a sub-panel in the basement. I am assuming when they all come together to get into the panel is when the interference happens.


I am much happier now that I have found the culprit and have mitigated it.


Check for dimmer switches in other rooms and see where they are set when you use the PJ and see the lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Cheap dimmers caused mine to do the same thing! I haven't replaced them yet but I have been told that the more expensive ones don't interfer with the power lines like the cheap ones do. My solution was the same as Vincent Kennedy's, leave the light off! LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
When I installed my pt-ax100, I experienced severe banding. This post, by LeeB, in another thread solved the problem for me. I was worried about all of the electrical issues, as I have video and power lines running near each other, and too many dimmers to count (every light in my house is dimmable), but the problem for me was solved with a $10 part.


good luck,


ar



Hi...


Go to the PARTS EXPRESS site & order the $10.00 isolation transformer; part number 180-175.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...tnumber=180-075


This should remove the ground loop from your cable box.


LeeB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7TRTCHALLENGER /forum/post/0


Cheap dimmers caused mine to do the same thing! I haven't replaced them yet but I have been told that the more expensive ones don't interfer with the power lines like the cheap ones do. My solution was the same as Vincent Kennedy's, leave the light off! LOL!

I used Lutron Maestros - I wouldn't consider those to be cheap so you can have problems even with good dimmers and they were installed by an electrician!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
lol...


My problem wasn't due to a poorly designed 25 foot cable; it was due to where I ran the cable. I originally ran it in the ceiling near other wiring (power and lighting). When I re-ran the cable along the floor, voila, the problem disappeared!


EDIT: Correction - The band is back. Maybe I didn't notice it before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Better Link: Isolation Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar7499 /forum/post/0


When I installed my pt-ax100, I experienced severe banding. This post, by LeeB, in another thread solved the problem for me. I was worried about all of the electrical issues, as I have video and power lines running near each other, and too many dimmers to count (every light in my house is dimmable), but the problem for me was solved with a $10 part.


good luck,


ar



Hi...


Go to the PARTS EXPRESS site & order the $10.00 isolation transformer; part number 180-175.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...tnumber=180-075


This should remove the ground loop from your cable box.


LeeB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I installed the Dayton VIT-1 video isolation transformer on the cable box input, and the horizontal lines completely disappeared with the 25 foot component cable in place.


Thanks ar7499 and tpham!


Crazy fact pattern: Previously, during troubleshooting, I got rid of the lines by replacing the 25' component cable with a 12' cable. This led me to believe that the problem was downstream of the cable box. I assumed that the cable was picking up interference.


So how is it that I can now use the 25' cable?!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top