AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
It depends. Is A/C involved and do you have to change the length of the existing A/C line? Do you have enough slack in the electrical line to reach the new location? Also, moving the unit will most likely void any warranties you still have on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, i should have included that info before. The A/C comes from the far wall, directly behind (or in front) of the unit which you see in the pic. I'm sure there would be slak as I'd actually be moving it closer to the electric panel.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Steve, absolutely, yes, the unit can be moved, and shouldn't affect the warranty. I would have an HVAC person do it, even though I'm an electrician and a DIYer. The freon lines and ductwork are best left to a pro. The wiring is easy to reconnect.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
No, but I would guess under $1K. Get a couple of estimates (at least).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had my HVAC unit zoned for the HT room and they had to move the unit. At first he wasn't going to and then we talked about some noise issues and he came up with a way of rebuilding the return ducting and needed to move the unit. Additional cost of moving it was around $500. Get some estimates, they are free!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Steve, absolutely, yes, the unit can be moved, and shouldn't affect the warranty.
Larry, I have to disagree with you there. Many units (mine included) specifically state that if you move them after they have been set you will void the warranty.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
That's a shocker. I wonder why. What if the original installer does the relocation?

I would offer this to whoever wants the job: Accept backing up the warranty if anything happens, and in writing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Warranty should not be an issue, the equipment manufacturer usually warranties the parts and they don't take pictures of the installations. They do however record the address of the installation and do not want you taking the unit with you when you change addresses. If you were not allowed to move it on your own property I would wonder what kind of warranty people in earthquake prone areas receive (I'm sorry, the unit seems to have moved sir).

Also this would be a hard do it yourself job as you would need a lot of specialized tools to do the job. You would need a machine to recover the refrigerant, as it is illegal to blow it off to the atmosphere. A vacuum pump, welding kit with hard solder (not plumbing solder) and the training required to recharge the refrigerant to the correct level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.