AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The best room available for HT has it's problems (ie...windows and weird ceilings), but it's definitely the best in the house.

- 20x20 room
- large window where screen will go (i'll need tint, blinds, blackout curtains, and/or anything else anyone can think of there)
- angled arched ceilings for front 2/3rd of room, then flat ceiling about 15 ft from window)

Pics below for the floorplan and pics from a demo home (currently building ours)

I'm at a loss on which projector. Projector central has the Sony HW40 as best over $1,500 and Benq W1070 under $1,500. I don't need 3D. After reading both reviews, I was sold on the Sony, but now I'm concerned due to the large window where screen will go. Wife says she used to work nights and can blackout that window no problem.

We'll have existing 50" LCD in living room for dining and lounging around, but it's time for my "cave"! In it we'll watch a lot of Sports, Blu Ray, and Primetime shows DirecTv or Dish.

BenQ was out right away since I can't mount the projector any closer than about 15' due to arched ceilings on front 2/3. At 15' away, it's showing 160" screen and seating back to 25', which I don't have. But now I'm not sure since it's much brighter, tho not the case at 15'.

The Sony has recommended throwing distance of 15', 123" screen, and seating 12-20'.

I guess there could be other options. Maybe the BenQ W7500? 17' throw, 120" screen, 12-19' seating. Epson 5030UB has good reviews too? Others?

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am just getting familiar with projectors and options.

Not sure on screen and risers yet, but focused on projector first.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I'd board up that window and put in a fixed screen myself. :) But I suppose a motorized drop down would be fine too!

Paint the room darker than shown in the pictures and I think you'll be fine. Maybe consider a dark are rug in front of the screen area. Make sure you leave enough room for your speakers on either side of the screen (although it looks like you would have plenty if you mount them low).

I think a 40ES would be fine. You could flush mount it to the flat ceiling and I think it would be about perfect. And it has a lot of wiggle room with its lens shift in any case.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
The Epson would be fine too. Better black levels than the Sony but more screen door effect if you sit too close. To get the most out of either you'll need to treat the room with dark walls etc. If you don't intend to improve the room you might consider a BenQ W1070 for under $1000 if you aren't bothered by the rainbows some folks see on single chip DLP. I'm pretty sure you could mount it anywhere as sloped ceiling mounts ARE available. Might be distracting if it ends up in front of you though.

There are plenty of threads here comparing the Sony and Epson. Both are miles better than the BenQ IMO but only in the right room.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
The best room available for HT has it's problems (ie...windows and weird ceilings), but it's definitely the best in the house.

- 20x20 room
- large window where screen will go (i'll need tint, blinds, blackout curtains, and/or anything else anyone can think of there)
- angled arched ceilings for front 2/3rd of room, then flat ceiling about 15 ft from window)

Pics below for the floorplan and pics from a demo home (currently building ours)

I'm at a loss on which projector. Projector central has the Sony HW40 as best over $1,500 and Benq W1070 under $1,500. I don't need 3D. After reading both reviews, I was sold on the Sony, but now I'm concerned due to the large window where screen will go. Wife says she used to work nights and can blackout that window no problem.

We'll have existing 50" LCD in living room for dining and lounging around, but it's time for my "cave"! In it we'll watch a lot of Sports, Blu Ray, and Primetime shows DirecTv or Dish.

BenQ was out right away since I can't mount the projector any closer than about 15' due to arched ceilings on front 2/3. At 15' away, it's showing 160" screen and seating back to 25', which I don't have. But now I'm not sure since it's much brighter, tho not the case at 15'.

The Sony has recommended throwing distance of 15', 123" screen, and seating 12-20'.

I guess there could be other options. Maybe the BenQ W7500? 17' throw, 120" screen, 12-19' seating. Epson 5030UB has good reviews too? Others?

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am just getting familiar with projectors and options.

Not sure on screen and risers yet, but focused on projector first.

Thanks in advance!

The best place for the screen acoustically would be where the window is in the peaked ceiling area. That would mean a throw of as little as 12' based on the pictures if you use a wall mount attached to the front of the flat ceiling vertical wall. So the W1070 is still an option. Even if you had to have a 15' throw, the W1070 could go as small as 140", so I'm not sure where you got the 160" figure. From 12' throw it could still fill a 140" screen and it would be brighter at the shorter throw. Seating from a screen is usually between 2x and 3x the height of the screen. A 140" screen is 69" tall so seats at 11.5' - 17' are equivalent to "middle rows and back rows" at a commercial cinema.

A screen will be mounted about as high as the top of a window frame, and it looks like you have 11' or so between the sloped ceilings at that height, so a 140" screen would fit. I'd paint the walls and ceiling a flat dark charcoal color, hang that size screen with speakers to the sides, mount the W1070 to that flat ceiling at 12', and set my seats right under it at 12'.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dreamer, thanks for the reply. I got the 160" number from projector central throw size estimator. It has an adjustable scale based on distance. I selected 15' since that is basically where the flat ceiling started and I will be installing a power outlet in flat ceiling as well. I could probably mount closer in the peaks, but it would be slightly more difficult to mount and no power close.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Dreamer, thanks for the reply. I got the 160" number from projector central throw size estimator. It has an adjustable scale based on distance. I selected 15' since that is basically where the flat ceiling started and I will be installing a power outlet in flat ceiling as well. I could probably mount closer in the peaks, but it would be slightly more difficult to mount and no power close.
You are not reading the calculator correctly. At a 15' throw it has a range of image sizes because the W1070 has a zoom lens on it. th smallest screen would be 138" and the largest 180". Click the "Diagonal Range" button in the "Zoom" box after setting the throw distance.

Regardless, there are all sorts of mounts that would allow you to mount it to the vertical wall above the flat ceiling and shorten your throw by 2'-3'.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=projector+wall+mount

1 - 7 of 7 Posts