AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have an older house that has a system designed by me 20 years ago. It was designed to be able to watch what is on the main tv in the living and on the 3 other house tv's. This includes watching one of two Video players( DVD and DVD/VCR combo) on any of the house TV's. I have a RF converter which takes the composite( Red White Yellow ) output and converts it to Chanel 3 . I had to add this since the new DVD player only has composite or component outputs.

The Dilemma

We are redoing the living room and its time to move from a 27 inch CRT to a 55 inch LED TV.

My Question is how do I get the HDMI output to the other 3 TV and simple enough not to confuse guest who use the home when we are away? In reading the reviews of the $30.00 HDMI to Composite converts none seam to be worthwhile. Can someone recommend a AVR receiver that will take in HDMI inputs and output in HDMI ans well as composite, or a working converter.

I am slow to change to new video technology so don't see moving to 3d anytime soon

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Scorrpio

I have been looking over the forum and the item you suggested will do a number of things the right way. I also see that it is not compliant which might be good at some point. I also learned from the site that I can get an HDMI extender so at some point when more of the TV's have HDMI inputs I will just get a splitter and an Extender. But that means drilling holes in the floor, crawling under the house and running HDMI cables to each room. Guess I should run 2 and a cat6 while I'm under there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it that critical to distribute same thing to all TVs in house? Maybe time to embrace the future? And I am not talking 3D. Home server for the media, and internet-enabled TVs. I got Cat 6 throughout house, distributed via a Gigabit Cisco switch, but many TVs today also have built-in WiFi. Any TV in the house can either play movies and recorded TV off the central server, and also use a variety of streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc). You already have coax running through house, meaning you can set up a single antenna and use TV's built-in tuners. If not ready to replace TVs, you can get Roku boxes for them.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1519807/moving-on-but-need-help-converting-hdmi-to-rf-composite#post_24409404

Your new TV does not have an analog tuner so your RF converter solution will not work!.
Without any mention of the make/model of the TV, how do you know it doesn't have an NTSC capable tuner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I have run into a road block. I got the Gefen HDMI to Composite Scaler but was told it would not work like I want it to. I was afraid this would be difficult and its getting very complicated.

I bought a Sharp 650 TV, as well as upgraded with a new cable box to HD. I realized I will need a AVR with pass through on the low price end then split the out put to go to a splitter. From the splitter I would go to the TV and the Gefen HDMI to composite. After searching I realized I needed a special splitter. So I found out that the HDMI to composite would cause problems with the signal from the cable box.

Is there ANY way to make this work :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Is there a AVR that will down scale to composite out, to avoid the problem ? Even and older model available on ebay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

For those who would like to split the output of HDMi to Composite.

I am so far able to get this to work with the output of a DVD player HDMI into a splittier, and convert this to composit. I get output on the new Sharp 650 TV as well as convert the composite witha RF modulator to the rest of the House. The Gefen did not work for this. I was able to do it with a 2way HDMI Splitter( # 47-100-001 ) and a HDMI to RCA composite converter ( # 47-300-014 ). Both from Show Me Cables.

When I get my short HDMI cable I will see how it works with the Pioneer VSX-43 I got at BB today. For 299.00 it was the lowest cost AVR with Passthrough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts