Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm about to buy a 42" plasma screen. I also know with 100% certainty that I will be changing homes in 2 years. So the question is how big a problem would it be to move the plasma? Is it an absolute requirement to keep the original shipping box, and if yes how big is it? How doable is it without the box? I really doubt I have room to keep it right now in my apartment.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I have my 433 box in the cellar laying on its side on top of an old couch.Its not as big as I thought it was going to be and its very light without the plasma.I'm keeping it for the life of the plasma in case i need to move it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. That sounds huge. Is it packable? Is it usable for storage of other

things inside meanwhile? Although I only plan to get 42" its probably similar, I really have nowhere to store this. :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
You could use it as a coffee table :)

The styrofoam seems to take up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the box. You might could store other boxes in there as well. Or if you have a friend that has the space (even an unfinished attic would do), maybe they can hang onto it for you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How far are you moving?

If it's just across town, you could put the plasma in your (four seat or bigger) car, securely, and move it yourself -- with a second person helping.

If you anticipate you will ship it, using professional movers, then by all means store the box and especially those foam pads.

BTW, with all due respects to nospam_online, the 503 box is nowhere near 3' deep. More like 18" maybe 24".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be drivable, but not sure I'd want to risk driving it without the box.

I guess the bottom line is, try as hard as possible to store it. Anyone with 433CMX or 42" Panny can tell me what the actual demensions of the box are?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm sure you could break the box down (cut the corners) and then tape the crap out of it when you're ready to move. Doesn't help with the styrofoam, but should make it easier to store.

That'll give you a use for all the duct tape you were instructed to buy.:)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I hauled my Pro1000 twice in the back of a U-Haul on a 750 mile trip. I just went to a shipping store and got a mirror box. I wrapped the plasma in blanket foam and placed it in the box. I then sat the box on a block of foam, placed it in the front of the trailer with a piece of plywood to protect it in the rear. No problems. I hauling my new 503cmx which comes Monday (in its original packing) for one more trip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
I hauling my new 503cmx which comes Monday (in its original packing) for one more trip.
LOL, you make it sound like you are taking your plasma out for a nice Sunday drive every now and again:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
LOL, you make it sound like you are taking your plasma out for a nice Sunday drive every now and again
haha Maybe it will hang out the window and enjoy the breeze too!:D

FYI MY DIMS say for the 503CMX: 52X18X38

433CMX:49X19X34

Hope it helps.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Now that my new SUV has a DVD player, maybe I can hook up the 503cmx so that my golden retriever can pass the time in the back on the 12 hour ride. How about "Old Yeller" on the big screen? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.