AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 58" samsung plasma and now need to move it. I will be traveling about 200 miles. I have an SUV I can use but the plasma will not quite fit sitting up right and out of the box. What I could do is tilt the tv slightly. If I did this the tv should fit. If the tv is well secured will this be a viable option? The tv should not need to be tilted more than about 70 degrees.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Honestly I would test it prior to the move. If there's anything wrong with it you need to return it wherever you are presently since the company you bought from will claim that it was damaged in transit if they see you're at a diff. address...

·
Banned
568 Posts
Always test the TV right out of the box, with the delivery guy there to watch you test it! That way you have nothing to worry about if it doesn't work. I had planed to drive two 50" plasmas and one 46" lcd across country 1,200 miles in the backseat of my car... But after more thought I realized I needed to pay someone to professionally pack and move them, because it was just too much of a liability going that distance. However, with your TV, 200mi isn't that bad, and if you pack it right, there shouldn't be a problem, even if tilted.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The turn on thing is ridiculous unless the TV will be exposed to very cold temps then taken into a warm room where condensation could occur.

The main danger of transporting a Plasma is cracking the panel. Think of it like transporting any piece of glass and use the same cautions.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb113 /forum/post/19634679

I have read that you should wait 24 hours to turn the tv on if you transfer anyway but vertical. Will this be the case here?

Not true. The instruction manuals for several plasmas have you lay it down to install the stand, with no mention of having to wait before turning it on, much less wait 24 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.