AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a Media server for Music, Photos, Movies, and general file storage. I am running WHS with 9 hard drives from 250gb to 1500gb. Right now my problem is that I need to add more drives and I am out of physical space and sata ports for the new drives. Here is the hardware that I currently have:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

E2140 overclocked to 3.0

cheap 2 port sata addon card

8500 GT

500W power supply

I want to move into a norco case. Either 4020 or 4220. I have a few questions that I am not sure how to proceed.

I need to add a sata card for more sata ports. I read alot about the SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 or the SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8. I think my problems may be in the type of PCI slots my board has. Here is a link to my board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128059

Doesn't appears either of these cards will work with my board. Are there other cards or do I need a new motherboard?

Next question is would I benefit from a better NIC card? I am running all my PC on a wired Gig LAN but thought I may get better results from a new network card.

Also when I move the drives to the new case does it matter where they are connected too? I mean will WHS still recognize them correctly if I move them to a new addon card?

Norco 4220 is about $30 more with shipping on new egg right now. Is it worth it over the 4020?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm using 2 Highpoint 2220's with this motherboard without problems in a Raid 5 setup. If I remember correctly they will recognize your disc's as legacy and should work without any changes. You could use either case but with the 4220 you would have to get "reverse to sas" cables. Don't know WHS but if anything your drive letters might change if not kept in same order.

I use the Nic on the motherboard and have no problems streaming to 4 HTPC's.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16966483

I'm using 2 Highpoint 2220's with this motherboard without problems in a Raid 5 setup. If I remember correctly they will recognize your disc's as legacy and should work without any changes. You could use either case but with the 4220 you would have to get "reverse to sas" cables. Don't know WHS but if anything your drive letters might change if not kept in same order.

I use the Nic on the motherboard and have no problems streaming to 4 HTPC's.

Those look like they are in the $250 range. It may be cheaper to buy a new motherboard and get 2 of the supermicro cards.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16966841

I'd just get a 16 port card and a new motherboard then.

16 port card is like $750 + motherboard. Little too much right now. Thats why I am looking at the supermicro cards. About $100 for 8 sata ports.

I have read that the SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 will work in standard PCI slots but at reduced speeds. Is it still worth using? Most of the streaming is over LAN so will it be noticeable?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thats the way my 2220's are running. It just has slow write speeds which doesn't bother me, it only gets written to when I do a movie. I can stream to 4 HTPC's simultaneously without problems, would think the Supermicro would do the same.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've been looking into this a lot lately and I have to say, you have to set your expectations to your budget. Quite frankly, unless you're going to be setting up a dedicated raid5 array for your media, then it really won't matter what SATA cards you use as you'll likely never max out even the bandwidth of a standard PCI slot with regular HDDs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
OP

I am in the same scenario as you are and I have almost the same board, CPU, etc using WHS. Why do you think these boards don't work with your MB? The MB you listed has both PCI and PCI-E ports to accomedate two cards.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t30t28t16t12 /forum/post/16970120

OP

I am in the same scenario as you are and I have almost the same board, CPU, etc using WHS. Why do you think these boards don't work with your MB? The MB you listed has both PCI and PCI-E ports to accomedate two cards.

I think it is because the Supermicro is a PCI-X card. The Supermicro SAS card is PCI express X4 which his board does not have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts