107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my current setup.

JVC DLA-RS2 FP

106 Screen

Denon AVR-2808Ci

Oppo 981

PS3

Since the PS3 will be moving I need a new player for the media room. I've been reading the forums like mad trying to figure out which best fits my needs but admittedly I'm totally lost.

I have been considering one of the new Sony units, the Denon DVD-2500BTCI and the Samsung 1500.

HELP!!!

Oh...in the future I will be replacing the 2808 with a AVR-5308 that I just received. Not putting it into place until we get into the new house this fall though.

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
I would look at the Pioneer 51FD or the new sony s350. You just need a good pic Q unit that Bitstreams and those are 2 of the latest. I can't comment on the samsung but from what I read some of them have issues. Of course if you owned one it may not and you could be happy. Anyway, out of those I would aim for the pioneer...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have been looking at the s350, but I can just hear my wife now....

"Everything else in here is black. Why is the Blu Ray player blue? You should paint it or something."

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If you are looking for a good player that is colored black, the insignia player BB is selling so far has been very good for me. Awesome picture and sound, loads times are good (Avg about 40 seconds for BD and 30 for SD). No audio drop outs and does all the HD audio stuff (but I have an old HTR, so I don't know this personally, just from what others have said).

It's also about $100 less than every other player on the market.

It has the panny unifier chipset and a Sony drive. It is made by Funai who makes players for a lot of companies including Denon.

If optical audio outputs are no big deal to you, Wal Mart has the same player under Magnavox name. I wanted to have the flexibility on audio outs so I went with the Insignia.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If Profile 2.0 is not an issue (which it doesn't seem to be if you're in the market for the BD-P1500 or BDP-S350), I'd check out the Panasonic DMP-BD30. I own a PS3 and a BD-P1000, and I can say from experience I would only buy a Samsung at last resort (this one was the right price, however). Looking at the BD30, it would appear that it is all black, with the exception of a blue "power" light, that you probably will not be able to avoid on any standalone BD. You may be waiting quite a while for the DMP-BD50 or BDP-S550, so this would do well to tide you over (or forever).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.