AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving from Sacramento Ca. to St. George Utah. The cable company there is charter and according to them they have no timetable for HDTV. I think I am too far away from Las Vegas to get their OTA offerings. The real question here ...Is Charter Cable the worst cable company for HDTV and will I ever be able to get network HD again?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Among your options, if you have property space and lines-of-sight, are a BUD for both HDTV and top-quality SDTV, an E* DBS setup for CBS and other HD, DirecTV for various HD, or the Canadian DBS system for the networks. See the 'note' threads stuck atop the hardware and programming forums for more details. You might wind up with better TV quality than many here. -- John

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel for you, I really do. I moved from Vegas to Cedar City (40 min north of St. George) and have been in HD withdrawl for a year now. Here's the current status for St. George. Charter blows, but you can at least get CBS in HD. The Salt Lake CBS Station set up a low-power HD signal for the St. George area. They ran a fiber feed clear across the state to St. George, and are running digital. That's it tho. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I think KUED (PBS) also has a DTV station in the area. I don't know if it runs HDTV.

Now, for the GOOD news...........

The nation's number one translator guru, Kent Parsons (recently retired from KUED, and also head of a family "dynasty" of translator gurus) has just been hired by DTV Utah. Over the last few years, Kent and some of the best people in the TV industry have been working on experiments with DTV for rural areas. Experiments, under the auspices of the FCC, Zenith, and others, have shown DTV to work extremely well in the rural areas.....even at very low power levels, as long as you use a good, conventional outside antenna. Kent, and others, currently watch SLC DTV stations from several networks at their homes in Monroe.

Many of the primary translator sites are already using the SLC DTV SDTV signals as inputs to their existing analog systems. As the system expands, these sites will also retransmit the DTV signals, often on the adjacent channels at lower power than the analog. This will allow the DTV to co-exist with analog during the "transition period", so that rural areas can make the transition along with the city folks.

In a recent meeting, station managers from the DTV Utah affiliate stations voted to fund a conversion of the major sites, including an innovative microwave relay system which is capable of carrying multiple DTV stations' signals to the remote transmitter sites.

Depending upon your location, you might get DTV stations in rural Utah in the near future.

Depending on what stations in your own states do, these experiments may mean DTV in YOUR areas as well, no matter where you live!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken, I like the sound of that. Getting CBS will be a big plus and the future plans are promising. Never want to have cable again and will go with the pegasus diretv set-up. Thanks for the info. Other than the Hd problem, I can't wait to get out of California.

·
Registered
103 Posts
always glad to hear good news from Ken. Currently, in Cedar City, I am excited because our translators are getting the SDTV feeds because when they go out, I recognize the DTV STB menu format on the screen saying "No Signal". It's good news for all non-metropolitan HDTV hopefuls.

From what I've heard about the KUED, they are digital but not HDTV yet. Where, exactly, are you going to be moving to in St. George. I know the current antennas they have set up are low-power, so if you are in an outlying suburb (if you can say that) like Bloomington or Washington, it may be difficult. Good luck, at least you *can* get a signal. I'm still in withdrawals. I'll be in Cedar for at least 1 more year, so maybe Kent and DTV Utah will make some magic happen for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.