AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a very small market with no HD local broadcasts. According to D*, I get an "A" signal from all 4 stations, but none of them come in very good at all over a rooftop antenna. I have to pay for cable for local stations and D* for the HD package. I REALLY want to be able to get the CBS HD feed and Super Bowl from D*. I called the local CBS station about a waiver and could not even get anyone to talk to me. I have a couple of friends who live nearby but out in the country and (according to DirecTV ) are eligble to receive the network feeds. Could I tell D* that I am moving or have a second home at one of these addresses? Would I actually have to set the receiver up there and connect to a phone line to get the CBS HD feed activated? I'm not wanting to break the law or get something without paying for it, but my local stations do not provide HD and have no plans to ever do so (according to our newpaper), and I NEED this CBS HD feed from DirecTV. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Pay the bill for one of your friends to add your HD receiver to their account. Problem solved. Everyone is getting payed for the services received and you get what you want. Just don't plug your receiver into the phone system.

·
Registered
135 Posts
gpflepsen is right. I don't know if you already have DTV at this point, but if you do, then drop cable and add the HD package to a friends bill and the receiver to his bill. The phone line is really only required for DTivos once in a while. For regular receivers, its makes getting PPV easy, but has no other real affect. I have none of my none-Tivo units hooked to a phone line and they work great. Good luck!!

Allen

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cdharris
I don't get Bell ExpressVu. Our cable is Cox, with no HD at all.
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. Thought you needed a last-minute DBS source of CBS's HD. Expressvu is a Canadian DBS service, but not sure how rapidly a system could be installed. -- John

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
I live in a very small market with no HD local broadcasts. According to D*, I get an "A" signal from all 4 stations, but none of them come in very good at all over a rooftop antenna. I have to pay for cable for local stations and D* for the HD package. I REALLY want to be able to get the CBS HD feed and Super Bowl from D*. I called the local CBS station about a waiver and could not even get anyone to talk to me. I have a couple of friends who live nearby but out in the country and (according to DirecTV ) are eligble to receive the network feeds. Could I tell D* that I am moving or have a second home at one of these addresses? Would I actually have to set the receiver up there and connect to a phone line to get the CBS HD feed activated? I'm not wanting to break the law or get something without paying for it, but my local stations do not provide HD and have no plans to ever do so (according to our newpaper), and I NEED this CBS HD feed from DirecTV. Any suggestions?
It's not really legal, but it's done.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Another need for the phone line is for NFL and MLB. Without it, they can't verify your address for "in market/out of market" telecasts.

So that would mean no Sunday Ticket or MLB pass.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am currently a DirecTV subscriber. I have one HD reciever and 3 SD. I don't think either of my friends who live outside town have DirecTV now. If I tell DirecTV that I have a 2nd home at one these addresses that are eligible for CBS HD, will I actually have to install the Dish and receiver and plug it into a phone line at that address to get CBS HD turned on?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You could tell D* that you are moving to the address of your friend & keep your address as the billing address. If you go to DBStalk.com they can help you with what you need to tell D*.

Jordan

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
... I have a couple of friends who live nearby but out in the country and (according to DirecTV ) are eligble to receive the network feeds. Could I tell D* that I am moving or have a second home at one of these addresses? Would I actually have to set the receiver up there and connect to a phone line to get the CBS HD feed activated?...
Yes, you can uh, "move" your service to a friend's address, if they don't already have D*.

If you only have one receiver, you don't have to connect it to any phone line (some people report using multiple receivers with no phone connections), unless you want to order PPVs with the remote. Even with no phone line connection, you can still order PPVs at the DirecTV web site.

Just call DirecTV, give them your "new" address and phone number. If the address is eligible, tell them to add the distant network feeds, which should include CBS-HD when it becomes available.

You can pay your bill online or setup autopay via bank or credit card.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LoginAction.do

Next, click: View Statement, and then select Customer Profile.

On the Customer Profile page, check the box:

[X] I'd like DIRECTV to stop mailing me a paper bill; I'd prefer online-only access

(Online access will keep paper bills from going to your friend's house.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a really dumb question.

On some auction sites you can bid on SAT-HD300's that are New in Box and the seller states "Comes with brand new Access card no contract needed."

What does this mean?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What if you tell D* that this is your vacation residence. No telephone installed. You just want to take your receiver with you when you are vacationing.

Will the distant networks only be available for that one receiver or will it be available to any of your receivers on your account?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk
Another need for the phone line is for NFL and MLB. Without it, they can't verify your address for "in market/out of market" telecasts.

So that would mean no Sunday Ticket or MLB pass.
Umm.. that is totally not true. I do NOT have a phone line connected to my STB whatsoever... in fact, it is far enough away from my phone jack and in another room that I dont want to, either.

Oh, and yeah, I subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
...will I actually have to install the Dish and receiver and plug it into a phone line at that address to get CBS HD turned on?
No. According to the folks over at dbsforums.com , DirecTV is not enforcing the phone line rule. One reason is because they would lose a lot of subs who only have a cell phone and have given up their landline phone.

Just tell them you're moving and nothing more. See my previous post .

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
Just tell them you're moving and nothing more.
I tried that and I think it would have worked except at the last moment, after taking all the information, the CSR said "Wait a minute. The vacation house is in a Pegasus territory. You'll have to go through them." I called Pegasus but gave up after they insisted I had to have an entirely new account, pay for programming, connect to a land line, etc., and all without any guarantee they would let me have the CBS HD. I decided to pass on Pegasus. I next called my local CBS station about a waiver but couldn't get anyone to talk to me. I even had a friend who is a very large advertiser call for me but they just ducked him also. I give up. I guess I will watch the Super Bowl in SD again this year. By the Masters, I will have CBS-HD or I am going to make a real pest of myself.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pmurphy16
Umm.. that is totally not true. I do NOT have a phone line connected to my STB whatsoever... in fact, it is far enough away from my phone jack and in another room that I dont want to, either.

Oh, and yeah, I subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.
I have 7 receivers mirrored and no phone line plugged into any of them and I get NFL Sunday Ticket for 4 seasons.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My friend calling the station manager for me at my local CBS station finally paid off. I heard back from the station manager at 4:45 yesterday afternoon and he said he would give me a waiver if I could get him one. After several panicked calls to D* (the long version is posted on the "HDTV Programming" forum ), this afternoon the CBS-HD feed, both E & W, was turned on. Hooray!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by abramsky
I have a really dumb question.

On some auction sites you can bid on SAT-HD300's that are New in Box and the seller states "Comes with brand new Access card no contract needed."

What does this mean?
It means he's selling you a receiver with an access card. The access card won't get you any pay TV though. You would need to call D* and they would send you a new one, and tell you to throw the card you currently have away.

The no contract needed part means you can use that box for OTA HD reception, and watching cable on without a contract with D*. Basically it's a good way to get a D* receiver without being locked in a deal with them for a year, so at a later date if you feel like subscribing to D*, you can. The other option is to get a regular only OTA receiver, but then you'd need a whole new receiver if you ever decided you wanted D*.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Be specific with topic titles, see my edit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.