AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - Im moving to NY.. ANd I don't know what to do.

I want hi def but i want TIVO????

WHat do I do folks?

I called timewarner but they don't have both on one box and to get a tivo box on top of the first one ( the HDTV one) - they want to charge 18$'s !!!!

SO what do I do folks - ?????

Is there a box that takes there digital cable and puts out the HDTV and is a TIVO???

Im really going to struggle without TIVO!

THanks in advance!

Cheers,

william

· AVS Forum Special Member
11,153 Posts
If you move to a building/location that offers RCN cable service (see RCN.com) you can order a DCT6208, which lets you record one channel but not watch a second channel; (unless it's analog via a splitter). A two-tuner DVR (watch and record separate digital channels, etc., may appear this summer). Also, some areas may have RCN service but not offer the 6208 DVR (call them to check). (If you mean only a TIVO brand DVR, check the TIVO forum here for more details.) You can compare TWC's service at twcnyc.com; they offer a non-HD DVR/converter, and are supposed to get a HD version this summer or later, probably later. The twcnyc thread in the local forum has lots of news about TWC's service, pointing out they've run out of bandwidth for expanding HD service until the 4th quarter. I subscribe to both TWC and RCN in Manhattan, which provides an additional three HD sources from RCN (2 HDNets, ESPN-HD), and find TWC's extensive digital SD channels preferable to RCN's mostly analog SD channels. I'm not familiar with Cablevision's service (outside Manhattan), but reports indicate they're offering more HD than TWC or RCN. -- John

· Registered
2,272 Posts
wpozo consider the possiblities. Does your place in NYC have a view of the southern sky? or could you place a dish where you have a view of the southern sky and run cables back to your place? If you want and HD Tivo, DirecTV is the only way you can go. there is No HD Tivo for cable (made by Tivo), and there is no info as when one may come (an exact date or year).

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys...

Im on my way up now to NY... Manhatten specifically...

I guess im going to have to look at RCN...But from your post John...it looks like TWC is the best way to go... I really would love to get the DVR functionality and HD in one box ...are the boxes you mention capable of both? or just one?

Miniz...The first thing I was looking for was a view towards the southern sky!...But unfortunately no luck...Sounds like no DVR/HDTV for me....

Im going to take both your recomendations and run with them..

Thanks again gentlemen.

CHeers!

William.

· AVS Forum Special Member
11,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wpozo

I really would love to get the DVR functionality and HD in one box ...are the boxes you mention capable of both? or just one?
Time Warner's SA8000 is for SD with DVR only. The upcoming (for NYC's TWC) SA8000HD has a DVR for both SD and HD.

To expand miniz's suggestion, you could also add VOOM (see programming forum) to maximimize HD with the right sky exposure and a private balcony or similar private site, or you could even set up an interior antenna through some types of windows. -- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.