AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to upgrade to separates. Total budget is $5000. Would like some feedback on what to purchase. I know very little in this area. Would like to be around 150 to 200 watts per channel. Running 5.1 currently. Should I buy 7channels or 5 channels? Any input is welcomed. :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Acududeman's suggestion is excellent. Really, with that kind of a budget, I'd just enjoy the process and go out and audition whatever you can find locally. If you buy both the pre-pro and amp from the same dealer, you have some bargaining power. I have the Integra 9.4 and love it, even though it only cost me $1600. My Parasound 1205A amp was also found at a bargain price, but both sound great to my ears. With the price drop on the B&K and the upcoming new line of Rotels, you should have plenty of options that might provide you with great sonics. Still, acududeman's suggestion is, imo, first rate.

·
Registered
363 Posts
AV123 is coming out with a Pre/Pro & 7 Ch Amp sometime next month. If you purchase them together it'll be $4K. I took some info from another thread which states some of the features.

Quote:
Originally posted by rt297
They aren't out yet. This is a speculation thread. :)

But I dug up some interesting specs. More like features than specs, but this is all that's available at the moment.

Emotiva Processor

Features

· Precision Motorola Symphony™ based 7.1 Channel Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro-Logic II/IIx, DTS, DTS-ES, and DTS Neo:6, decoding

· Broadcast quality video up-conversion circuitry for all composite and S-video inputs. Converts to 480i output and supports PAL and NTSC formats

· OSD (On Screen Display) for easy set up and calibration. Logical and easy to use. OSD is component video compatible

· All inputs can be renamed and are completely configurable for triggers, zone assignment, gain trim, max level, etc.

· Second zone audio capability; can play sources independent of the main zone

· Full-time digital down-mix for two-channel tape recording, digital outputs, and second audio zone output from multi-channel digital sources

· Direct two-channel analog bypass mode

· Preprogrammed and learning MX500 remote control with LCD

· Music surround modes converts stereo inputs into five or six channels of audio

· FM/AM tuner with 40 presets

· Three sets of 100MHz+ HDTV compatible wide-bandwidth component video inputs with two buffered outputs

· Six audio/video inputs, each with audio, S-video and composite video

· Three audio-only inputs

· Moving magnet phono input

· Eight channel analog audio input using RCA connectors for DVD-A, SACD, or other external multi-channel source

· Digital audio (S/PDIF) inputs for six sources: four coax or optical and two coax only

· Coaxial and optical digital (S/PDIF) outputs provide two-channel digital down-mix from 5.1 sources for recording, etc.

· Balanced outputs for main 7.1 channels

· 3 additional single ended subwoofer outputs

· All-digital bass manager with crossover frequencies of 40 to 160Hz

· DSP based tone controls

· Professional grade 24-bit A-to-D converter and 24-bit/192kHz Multibit D-to-A converters

· Separate trigger outputs and infrared inputs for both zones

· High-current (500mA total) trigger outputs

· IEEE-1394 (Firewire™) port for future expansion

· Flash upgradeable memory

· Modular internal construction

· 3RU chassis with floating multi-element, milled aluminum faceplate. Indirect cobalt blue illumination of all controls and main panel

· Black lacquered removable side trim panels. Optional rack ears provided

· IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable.

· Weight - 27 lbs.

Emotiva Modular Power Amplifier

Features

· Audiophile quality, modular power amplifier.

· Card cage design can accommodate up to seven 200 watt mono block power modules

· 200 watt power modules feature independent 350VA, low noise toroid power transformers

· High efficiency Class H power amplifier design, minimizes power losses and allows cool operation

· Complementary, discrete power amplifier design incorporating high current, high speed, Toshiba power devices

· Truly transparent, integrated soft clip circuitry

· Channel status indicators for standby, operate, and fault

· Stable into 2 ohm loads

· 200 watts/8 ohms – 300 watts/4 ohms – 400 watts/2 ohms - seven channels driven, mains limited

· Fully protected from all fault conditions with ultra quiet, module mounted, fan assisted cooling for severe duty cycle applications

· Soft start circuitry

· Signal sensing auto turn on or remote trigger. Soft touch power switch

· Modules are designed for field replacement with the removal of four screws

· 5RU chassis with floating multi-element, milled aluminum faceplate. Indirect cobalt blue illumination of all controls and main panel

· Black lacquered removable side trim panels. Optional rack ears provided

· IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable on modules

Just my $0.02

Arnold

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Ref 50 and the AVM 20 are quite comparable. I own the Ref 50. Right now the Ref 50 can be had for $1,700 on Audiogon. The AVM 20 is awfully sweet, though. I believe it is a slight notch above the Ref 50 in build quality and sonic quality, especially with regards to 2-channel. Plus it's software upgradeable over the net, whereas you have to ship the Ref 50 back to B&K for upgrades....a hassle. The remote on the B&K is nicer, though. So, it's really a tossup. The good news is you will score nicely with either unit. Good luck and happy listening.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some units to consider: pre/pro's - B&K Ref. 50, Anthem AVM20, Aragon Stage One, Rotel 1098 - 1068, Parasound Halo C2, Krell Showcase. All are $4000 k or under.

There are a lot of choices in the amp department. What speakers do you currently own?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will be getting new speakers as well. Looking at Studio 100, B&K 703, Monitor 11 and Rocket 750. Keeping my Def sub. 75/25 HT to music. Current video is 50" plasma.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you get the Rocket 750's, I believe you can get the special intro price for the Emotiva pkg for $3,499 for a limited time.

Arnold

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
acududeman,

do you own a Sherbourn 7/2100? It has two power cords. Any special home wiring required? Can it be powered off one 15amp circuit?

·
Registered
79 Posts
No- you must use 2 separate circuits to accomodate that unit. It has a master plug for normal usage and a slave plug for peaks and such. It can draw up to 30A at a time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I do own the Sherbourn 7/2100. It does indeed have 2 power cords. I had my electrician install an extra 30amp circuit, so each cord goes to a separate circuit. It's a beast of an amp, and a great value IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.