AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to start a project in my living room. Moving the tv room from the sun porch to the regular living room and we are planning on getting a new TV to mount above the fireplace for multiple reasons.

My question is regarding the wiring. I am going to contact an electrician to either put an outlet above the mantle to be hidden by the TV, or on the ceiling above it so I don't need to run cables all over the place. I'd like to do the same with an HDMI run. I've read other threads of a similar nature, but my fireplace is an actual wood burning fireplace with a chimney and is on an outside wall. I'm not sure about running wires through the chimney itself.

I am also looking for a receiver that will allow me to take output from a PS3, XBOX360, and Motorola cable box into the receiver, then run one input from the receiver to the TV. Is there anything special I need to do with having an HDMI outlet put in? It would basically just be a faceplate with a regular HDMI cable in the wall right? What about surge protection for the TV? Should I assume the electrician would have a solution for this, or should I invest in a surge protection outlet to have them install? If so, any recommendations for one?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel /forum/post/18140044

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=1

This was actually recommended for the outlet itself instead of installing a new outlet.

Yup, run that to where your equipment is going to be and have your TV power protected by whatever surge protection or power center you plan to use. Also gives you a place to run wires (HDMI) through.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/18140157

Yup, run that to where your equipment is going to be and have your TV power protected by whatever surge protection or power center you plan to use. Also gives you a place to run wires (HDMI) through.

If I get a conduit run for the power, there isn't any issues (interference?) with having the HDMI and the lines for the power in the same conduit?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel /forum/post/18140498

If I get a conduit run for the power, there isn't any issues (interference?) with having the HDMI and the lines for the power in the same conduit?

Don't run the power in the conduit, if you can help it. Run the power on the other side of the stud cavity, or try to keep the wires apart, if you can. The usual advice is to keep your power wires away from your signal wires.

I can tell you that I have pretty much all my wiring run together, with monoprice HDMI and speaker cables, and I don't notice any issues. Typically though, you run the conduit for future proofing...so keep the wires you need now out of it, to maximize the space in it for running wires down the road. I would put a string or heavier smallish rope through it for now...to make pulling cable later easier.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dont quite get that thing from Monoprice, or am I missing something?

I'm running all the wiring through the wall and adding an wired outlet behind the tv but not sure if it's legal to run electrical on the inside of a wall that houses a chimney. I thought I read that somewhere. Not that I wont do it, I will but I'll be sure it's done properly and as far from the chimney as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.