AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking of moving my TV to an area of the house where it could not be directly wired. My thought is to try to directly wire the TV and NAS though so that it will remove the buffering that would happen over wifi.

Is this possible? The TV will be a new Sony 900H 82" and I plan to setup a Synology NAS which will be setup via wifi on my network. Both the TV and NAS would use Wifi but I would ideally connect them via a switch etc.

Do I have to get a apple-tv to do this or can I directly hook them up? Can I just use PLEX and have them connected via a hardwire ethernet on the same switch and it will find it under LAN?

Thank you and have a great weekend!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
If WIFI is involved, u will be limited by WIFI speed, playback 4K needs ~25 mbit/s, u will be competing for WIFI bandwidth with the rest of the household. Direct Ethernet connection is better, since u will have the entire bandwidth to yourself.

Am not sure what Apple TV come into your question, the above is the HIGHWAYS, Apple TV is but a streaming box, call it a HEAD, and Plex is really a client-service software service.

I just addressed your highways, am not sure if you have more specific question for the other 2 pieces.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If WIFI is involved, u will be limited by WIFI speed, playback 4K needs ~25 mbit/s, u will be competing for WIFI bandwidth with the rest of the household. Direct Ethernet connection is better, since u will have the entire bandwidth to yourself.

Am not sure what Apple TV come into your question, the above is the HIGHWAYS, Apple TV is but a streaming box, call it a HEAD, and Plex is really a client-service software service.

I just addressed your highways, am not sure if you have more specific question for the other 2 pieces.

What highway? The wifi highway would be to download content to the nas but I'm hoping to hardwire the nas and TV or Apple TV if that can directly play from the nas via ethernet cable?

Essentially I'm asking for a way to wire via ethernet cable the TV and nas for directly playing it.

Can kodi read the nas directly off the TV?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
a way to wire via ethernet cable the TV and nas for directly playing it.
Simply YES.

TV has ethernet, NAS has ethernet, attach away.

You would be building what is called an ADHOC network, you must provide DHCP service, or configure static IPs, a way for this network to talk to the Internet if you wish to stream from the Internet at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts