AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to moving up to a Holo3D based HTPC. What are members using in terms of standalone dvd players to mate with this board. I will not be using SDI (not yet) and will be running component video in from the dvd player to the Holo3d. I am looking at several options and am looking for the best bang for the buck.

The RP82 is overpriced in my opinion and i am leaning towards maybe a Denon dvd 1600, Yamaha DVDC920 or a Panny CP72 dvd player. All utilise the Faroundja DCDi chip. I am well aware that the Holo3d already has the DCDi chip so all i really need is a good 480i player to allow the card to perform it's magic. Therefore i would be interested in hearing about the performance of these players in interlaced mode too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I haven't received my Holo3D yet, but I am currently using a flyvideo2000 with the panasonic rp91, which has an amazing s-video/480i output. If you look around at the dvd hardware forum's faq, I believe the rp91 is regarded as the player with the best interlaced output. It has decent progressive scan capabilities but not up to the level of Faroudja. You can probably find one new for close to $300 or used for $250. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Mike U.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah,

i just so happened to forget mentionning the RP-91. Since the Holo3D already has DCDi, why would i really need a Prog scan dvd player....yes i know all the processing would be done via the DCDi chip within the player and keep everything in the digital domain but i don't really believe this improvement would be noticeable. The Holo3D II however will accept a 480P input and now this is where i see some definite advantages, at least theoretically:)

So i guess, either i purchase one of the above players mentionned in my first post (best bang for the buck i think) mated with the3D II or i purchase an RP-91 and feed it's quality 480i output to the current Holo3D for doubling/scaling. I sure wish the Holo3D II was available now so we could see some comparisons......

Can anyone recommend another dvd player not mentionned?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.