AVS Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 7579 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX /forum/post/18496398


For some reason the WD Green drives do not record/play well (ie. many glitches) when used as an eSATA external HDD combined with an SA/Cisco DVR. Let us know how your Green AV HDD works with the Moxi.

Apparently, the Western Digital Green Drive fluctuates the spin speed in order to save power ("IntelliSpin"). So, while the Seagate drives that come with the Moxi spin at a constant 7200 RPM, will the WD Green Drives do the same if installed inside a Moxi? And if the WD Green Drive doesn't spin at 7200 RPM always if inside a Moxi, would that even negatively affect the Moxi?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 /forum/post/18498069


Sourball:


here is the reply I received fromMoxi's Customer Care on this issue:


The HDCP service, for copyright protection reasons, disables the component and composite outputs for video. Audio however can still be output.


If you wish to back up to a DVD for educational purposes, you only need to connect the Moxi to the inputs on the DVD recorder, then connect the DVD player's outputs to the TV, so the DVD recorder will act as a pass-through device recording everything you watch on the DVR. You shouldn't need to connect the DVR directly to the TV when connecting it this way.


Please note that some DVD recorders recognize Macrovision flagging for content protection, so you might not be able to record certain/any programs.



I am going to try simply removing my HDMI connection from the Moxi and run component cables from it to my DVD recorder along with a digital coax audio cable and see what happens.

Geodon005


Thank you very much, you explained this better then the answer I received from the MOXI customer care person I got when I inquired via their email support.


I'm not using HDMI, with this particular TV, for some reason, video has always played better using the RGB hookup. I do however use HDMI with the Blu Ray player. It has video adjustments in player that along with TV video adjustments gets a superior picture, but I need both device adjustments to achieve it.


From what I'm understanding from you is that the extra component Video OUT located on the MOXI can't be also hooked up at same time and is disabled and therefore can't be used when MOXI is hooked up directly to TV. So to use DVD recorder I need to disconnect RGB from TV and reconnect directly to DVD recorder on the occasions I'd like to DVD record something. Okay I can do that. Although I think it's strange and at the very least annoying that MOXI can't handle this like every other Cable DVR box I've ever used over the past years. I've always been able to use the extra video OUT to run programming into the DVD recorder. Anyhow, Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcInNH /forum/post/18497841


When I tried this the other night I immediately saw that the score of the hockey game had changed before I got to the see the goal...

Haha, we have the same application in mind here... BTW, Let's Go Pens!!! I've gotten fairly decent at being able to block the score with my hand while I rewind when I screw up on the Comcast DVR.


I'm not sure I agree that nothing else needs to change, although I'm still not entirely clear on how it works now. It sounds like the "jump" button is usually "swap tuners" unless there is only one free tuner, in which case it becomes a "previous channel" button. Is that accurate? Does that mean in general there is no "previous channel" button? What does it do on the 3T box, cycle between all 3 tuners? If that's how it works, one bad implication seems to be the "Jump" button may or may not dump the buffer depending on what else the box is doing.


Regardless, what you suggested (remembering pause state and position per-buffer [and probably per-box in to account for mates]) certainly sounds like a beneficial change and would probably go a long way towards solving the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcInNH /forum/post/18497881


Count me as one who agrees about the PIP angle. I like that feature a lot. Eliminating a major function like PIP is quite different, IMO, from not supporting it in the first place. I'd be very upset if I purchased a solution that supported it and then it was later removed (via software upgrade more so than a hardware update - I just wouldn't buy the newer hardware if it didn't suit my needs).


I guess in the final analysis most people view their own requirements/desires as the critical ones. Kind of human nature...


Again, though, the original point I was making about pause not being supported when switching between channels doesn't really relate directly to the more complex topic of buffer management (at least, it *need* not in a simple implementation). None of the existing buffer management would need to change. Alongside the existing buffer state would be a new piece of state that indicated a previous pause offset within the buffer (or not)...

Regarding the whole buffering issue FWIW, I thought I’d add my 2¢. One must keep in mind one of the major features of the Moxi. That is its streaming capability. Think of it as ownership of the tuner and its cognate buffer. Each device in the Moxi environment can “own” only a single channel/buffer which is the combo that is currently being viewed (or recorded). Once you switch to another tuner, you give up the previous tuner/buffer combo for use by another device within the network. Therefore, maintaining a pointer to indicate when channel was switched becomes irrelevant. Nevertheless, I agree that it is fairly easy to accommodate the feature of maintaining a pointer in a previously switched buffer however this adds to the logical complexity of switching. Which is why, I suggest that Moxi took the simpler path.


The logic might look like the following:
  1. Press Jump button (This would require that “jumping” is not simply switching the currently viewed tuner’s channel but to move to the second tuner/buffer combo)
  2. Has channel/buffer been accessed by another device (eg. Mate)? Yes/No
  3. If Yes, then Do you want to bump the device? Yes/No (Keep in mind that if the tuner/buffer was accessed by another device, then the issue of a pointer becomes irrelevant; previous buffer is lost.)
  4. If #2 is No, then do you want to pick up pointer? Yes/No
  5. If Yes, go to pointer
  6. If No, go to Live TV


See how this complicates matters? I hope this sheds some light on the issue. With self-enclosed DVR such as what the cable companies provide “ownership” of the tuner is irrelevant. I’ll amend this post with a logic diagram later this evening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourball /forum/post/18497789


Is there anything in MOXI's 3 tuner configuration that would prevent using the OUT component video connection to the IN of DVD/VCR recorder and block video from being sent to DVD/VCR recorder? I can't get video from MOXI OUT to other devices' IN's, although I can send audio from MOXI OUT to other devices. I've changed video wires without success. I have tested with other device over this same connection (Play Station 2 and a DVD player) and the video comes through just as it should. Could MOXI have a bad video out connection, could the FIOS Cablecard or something else be disabling or interfering with the Video connection? I'm stumped. Any suggestions?


Thanks

IIRC, you cannot use the Moxi's HDMI output and its component output at the same time. Are you using HDMI to your TV? If so, disconnect the HDMI cable from your Moxi, reboot your Moxi, and I bet your component video now is OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcInNH /forum/post/18497881


Count me as one who agrees about the PIP angle. I like that feature a lot. Eliminating a major function like PIP is quite different, IMO, from not supporting it in the first place. I'd be very upset if I purchased a solution that supported it and then it was later removed (via software upgrade more so than a hardware update - I just wouldn't buy the newer hardware if it didn't suit my needs).


I guess in the final analysis most people view their own requirements/desires as the critical ones. Kind of human nature...


Again, though, the original point I was making about pause not being supported when switching between channels doesn't really relate directly to the more complex topic of buffer management (at least, it *need* not in a simple implementation). None of the existing buffer management would need to change. Alongside the existing buffer state would be a new piece of state that indicated a previous pause offset within the buffer (or not)...

Regarding the whole buffering issue FWIW, I thought I’d add my 2¢. One must keep in mind one of the major features of the Moxi. That is its streaming capability. Think of it as ownership of the tuner and its cognate buffer. Each device in the Moxi environment can “own” only a single channel/buffer which is the combo that is currently being viewed (or recorded). Once you switch to another tuner, you give up the previous tuner/buffer combo for use by another device within the network. Therefore, maintaining a pointer to indicate when channel was switched becomes irrelevant. Nevertheless, I agree that it is fairly easy to accommodate the feature of maintaining a pointer in a previously switched buffer however this adds to the logical complexity of switching. Which is why, I suggest that Moxi took the simpler path.


The logic might look like the following:
  1. Press Jump button (This would require that “jumping” is not simply switching the currently viewed tuner’s channel but to move to the second tuner/buffer combo)
  2. Has channel/buffer been accessed by another device (eg. Mate)? Yes/No
  3. If Yes, then Do you want to bump the device? Yes/No (Keep in mind that if the tuner/buffer was accessed by another device, then the issue of a pointer becomes irrelevant; previous buffer is lost.)
  4. If #2 is No, then do you want to pick up pointer? Yes/No
  5. If Yes, go to pointer
  6. If No, go to Live TV


See how this complicates matters? I hope this sheds some light on the issue. With a self-contained DVR such as what the cable companies provide “ownership” of the tuner is irrelevant. I’ll amend this post with a logic diagram later this evening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr /forum/post/18496391


My biggest concern is the reports of all recordings being lost. That is completely unacceptable in all circumstances short of catastrophic hardware failure.

Having been a ReplayTV user (we have five) for nearly a decade now, it is a real bummer to lose recorded shows -- it's happened to me several times over the years, most recently a little over a month or so ago.


With the RTVs, though, one can move recorded shows off the unit to another hard drive where you can easily make backups while not losing the ability to stream the shows back to the RTVs for multi-room viewing or to burn to DVD. I used to burn a lot of stuff to DVD, but I've basically abandoned that process except for stuff I want to take when I travel. I have a huge video collection stored -- and backed up -- that way, and I'll really miss that functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy /forum/post/18497534


Not to mention the general topic is upgrading the internal drive. The whole process with Moxi can be easily likened to what TiVO has already gone through I SERIOUSLY doubt that ever really HURT TiVO and could make an argument that it helped them... dollars to donuts some bought it because it was well know how to do that.

I couldn't agree more: I've replaced/upgraded hard drives, power supplies, etc in our RTVs, something that has kept them going, and going, and going. I wouldn't have kept adding RTV units without that ability because it would have really chapped my hide to spend the money for the units & activations only to lose the unit three months or a year after the warranty was up. After the first time of sending one back for "inexpensive" service (replacing a failed hard drive) and having the unit returned minus power supply screws which I found out when the power supply failed a couple of months later, I'd much rather be able to do simple things like that myself where I know what the quality of the workmanship is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 /forum/post/18498069


here is the reply I received fromMoxi's Customer Care on this issue:


The HDCP service, for copyright protection reasons, disables the component and composite outputs for video. Audio however can still be output.


If you wish to back up to a DVD for educational purposes, you only need to connect the Moxi to the inputs on the DVD recorder, then connect the DVD player's outputs to the TV, so the DVD recorder will act as a pass-through device recording everything you watch on the DVR. You shouldn't need to connect the DVR directly to the TV when connecting it this way.


Please note that some DVD recorders recognize Macrovision flagging for content protection, so you might not be able to record certain/any programs.

Ahhh . . . I'd not thought of that. We'll be keeping one or two RTVs with lifetime activation in service, so that may be a solution, albeit clunky, for me. It'll be a bummer to lose HD on that stuff, but it's better than nothing, for now.


I have some more questions about the analog dongle, the Guide, and Moxi functionality this time.


How dependent is Moxi on the Guide?


RTVs, of course, are different than Moxis, but our current situation is that 8 days ago, Tribune Media Services erroneously dropped the non-digital channel lineup listings. Since RTV (and Windows Media Center, BTW), use Tribune Media Services for their guides (I hope I'm explaining it correctly), two our our RTVs that are hooked up just to coax are completely crippled: we can get only a fraction of the channels we can get hooking the coax directly to an ancient TV, and we can't record anything even manually.


We're still waiting for the fix, which was promised Saturday and Sunday and Monday and . . .


This isn't the only Guide problem we've run into. I guess TWC in this area frequently plays musical channels on stuff we don't watch, and when there's a channel or Guide update (I don't know which) which are never announced in advance & with no notification afterwards, it wipes out scheduled recordings even on channels which haven't moved until someone notices & I go into Setup to reselect TWC. Very frustrating.


And, getting Guide errors corrected isn't always prompt. The most recent time there was a problem was in January when the guide listed 6 digital & 1 HD channel TWC had dropped and didnt' list a new HD channel. It took almost a month for that error to be corrected. Since the new HD channel wasn't listed in the Guide, the only way we could view it was to bypass the RTV and view through the STB with its Guide.


So, while I've won the purchasing decision discussion, I'd like to better understand how this works with the Moxi -- it's always a better scenario in this house when I'm aware of potential problems in advance so I can mention them in passing to my dh . . . then when something happens and he's ready to play the blame game , I can remind him I told him of the possibility



The analog dongle question really is just more of the above. While we currently have no problem with whatever channels are analog on the RTVs with HD STBs because the "digital lineup" Guide correctly includes those channels, I'm wondering if the analog tuner added by the dongle will experience the same limitations at our RTVs hooked to coax until the Guide is eventually corrected?


If so, it might be better for me to wait until that's corrected, although the bigger part of me is really resenting the heck out of being down two tuners to record. Even if the analog dongle won't work until the analog lineup Guide for this area is fixed, we'd still have six tuners to record digital channels rather than the three (down from five) we're got now that's causing domestic disharmony when we're short places to record.


I'll greatly appreciate any info -- TIA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/18498745


IIRC, you cannot use the Moxi's HDMI output and its component output at the same time. Are you using HDMI to your TV? If so, disconnect the HDMI cable from your Moxi, reboot your Moxi, and I bet your component video now is OK.

No HDMI being used. Presently RGB component hookup is going from MOXI and out to TV. Would also like to use the extra Video OUT from MOXI and send video to DVD recorder. Apparently can’t be done. MOXI only allows 1 Video feed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Hm, my next stumbling block is the network connections. I was hoping to use powerline since I already have a couple Netgear XAV101's, I was hoping I could buy a couple more for $120 and call it a day. But, unfortunately although I get 150+ Mbps (reported by the diag utility) between the adapters where they were, I moved one around to various rooms and saw rates as low as the mid-20's which isn't going to cut it.


I don't think running cat 5 is going to be viable (105 year old, 3 story house, plaster walls, etc), so I guess I'll probably try MoCA. Any advice there? I'm leaning towards the Actiontec because they all seem to be basically the same hardware and it's the cheapest - especially considering I need 3 and they're the only ones that seem to sell singles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund /forum/post/18498881


How dependent is Moxi on the Guide?

Moxi is 100% dependent on the guide. When Comcast upgraded my system and added about 30 new HD channels, the Moxi could tune in the channels but couldn't record any of them. I waited patiently for 5 days for the guide to populate on its' own, but it never happened. I had to contact Moxi support to get the ball rolling. It took about 2 days from the time I contacted Moxi until the new channels were added.


What is even more annoying to me is that the guide data for many of my local stations is often wrong. The shows themselves are listed in the correct timeslot, but the episode details are incomplete or incorrect. This causes huge problems for series recordings because of the dopey 30 day rule. It is constantly incorrectly flagging shows I have not recorded yet as duplicates, and every night I have to manually go and force the Moxi to record them. If Moxi is going to supply us with shoddy guide data, the least they could do is give us a "Record All with Duplicates" option like Tivo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
More on the Moxi Guide dependency issue. I own two ReplayTV's. A fabulous feature of ReplayTV is the ability to set a manual record. You can easily tell Replay the channel and date and time and ReplayTV will record it. No guide necessary at all.


Also, ReplayTV has an auxiliary RCA input jack, and you can manually record from that source no matter what is being fed to it.


Of course, the negative of ReplayTV is that it is a single tuner, analog only. (The only time I ever lost recordings on my ReplayTV is when there was a total crash of the hard drive. I never lost recordings when there was a reset/reboot the way I have twice now with Moxi.)


The Moxi has no ability to manually input a scheduled recording. Should what you want to record not be in the TV Guide, you are out of luck. Plus, if you schedule a recording from the TV Guide and then that TV Guide entry somehow disappears, your scheduled recording disappears as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 /forum/post/18499703


More on the Moxi Guide dependency issue. I own two ReplayTV's. A fabulous feature of ReplayTV is the ability to set a manual record. You can easily tell Replay the channel and date and time and ReplayTV will record it. No guide necessary at all.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I believe you are incorrect. RTVs, of course, require activation to work. If you don't have a Guide (which requires activation), you cannot record TV at all. At least, that's what we're experiencing with our two RTVs with Guide issues.


Perhaps you can record from one of the other inputs without the Guide -- I haven't tried -- but unless I'm missing something and the three RTV custmore service agents I've spoken with are mistaken, there isn't a way schedule any TV signal recording or even initiate a manual record without a Guide. Even just hitting the Record button to record one of the limited channels we're getting through the RTV with no Guide won't initiate a record even though it looks like it will. Presumably, it's a form of subscription protection, which I guess would be fine, but it also screws people like me who have valid activation/subscriptions but Guide problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund /forum/post/18500049


Unless I'm misunderstanding, I believe you are incorrect. RTVs, of course, require activation to work. If you don't have a Guide (which requires activation), you cannot record TV at all. At least, that's what we're experiencing with our two RTVs with Guide issues.


Perhaps you can record from one of the other inputs without the Guide -- I haven't tried -- but unless I'm missing something and the three RTV custmore service agents I've spoken with are mistaken, there isn't a way schedule any TV signal recording or even initiate a manual record without a Guide. Even just hitting the Record button to record one of the limited channels we're getting through the RTV with no Guide won't initiate a record even though it looks like it will. Presumably, it's a form of subscription protection, which I guess would be fine, but it also screws people like me who have valid activation/subscriptions but Guide problems.

Sslund, if I am wrong, of course I will apologize for being mistaken. And of course, I hope no one else gets upset that we are talking about ReplayTV on a Moxi Forum. (I promise it will stop.)


This is my understanding of ReplayTV. (I have been a ReplayTV owner since the very beginning, many years ago. I currently still use two 5500 series to record non-freeQAM stations since I only use my Moxi with the Free-QAM stations right now.)


Once your ReplayTV has been activated and you have downloaded the initial guide and your analog stations appear, you could theoretically unplug the Ethernet cable and leave it out forever. Every day, ReplayTV will try to connect, and give you a message that it cannot. Of course, eventually the TV Guide will show no data, but the stations will still be there. At this point, you have the option of doing manually scheduled records of just the date and time and channel number in perpetuity.


Now, I must point out that I bought the Lifetime Subscriptions on my ReplayTV's. I do not know if one has the monthly payment plan the software will disable manual scheduling if it cannot call in once a month to see if payment has been made. But for mine, which again show Lifetime Subscription, I can do manual scheduled records based on date and time and channel input only for as long as the hardware lasts...and I would not need the guide updates from the Internet to do this. (As you know, with the Moxi, if you don't get the guide updates from the Internet, you cannot do any recording, etc. That was basically my main point.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 /forum/post/18500096


This is my understanding of ReplayTV. (I have been a ReplayTV owner since the very beginning, many years ago. I currently still use two 5500 series to record non-freeQAM stations since I only use my Moxi with the Free-QAM stations right now.)


Once your ReplayTV has been activated and you have downloaded the initial guide and your analog stations appear, you could theoretically unplug the Ethernet cable and leave it out forever. Every day, ReplayTV will try to connect, and give you a message that it cannot. Of course, eventually the TV Guide will show no data, but the stations will still be there. At this point, you have the option of doing manually scheduled records of just the date and time and channel number in perpetuity.


Now, I must point out that I bought the Lifetime Subscriptions on my ReplayTV's. I do not know if one has the monthly payment plan the software will disable manual scheduling if it cannot call in once a month to see if payment has been made. But for mine, which again show Lifetime Subscription, I can do manual scheduled records based on date and time and channel input only for as long as the hardware lasts...and I would not need the guide updates from the Internet to do this. (As you know, with the Moxi, if you don't get the guide updates from the Internet, you cannot do any recording, etc. That was basically my main point.)

There's been a lot of Tivo discussion here , so I hope a couple of RTV/Moxi discussions will be tolerated.


Again, I don't believe you are correct, and if you are, please explain how you accomplish it. Our two currently Channel Guideless RTVs are a 50xx with monthly activation and a later 55xx with lifetime activation, which is what you have, yes?


On both machines, when I've tried to schedule a manual record without a Channel Guide, it's impossible once you get to the screen where you have to choose a channel. Without a Channel Guide, there are no channels to choose from.


Similarly, when hitting the red Record button, everything looks fine, but nothing in fact records on both units. When going to the Replay Guide, I find Manual Records of less than a minute, which is the expected behavior.


According to DNNA, both of these events are by design, so if you've found a way around it, please share
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund /forum/post/18500272


There's been a lot of Tivo discussion here , so I hope a couple of RTV/Moxi discussions will be tolerated.

Not that I'm the thread police but I think RTV/Moxi comparisons are fine although troubleshooting RTV issues is probably better suited for a new thread (where it's more likely to get attention from other RTV users as well).


Anyways, midas89 - you lost all your recordings twice and had to return your unit twice, and they blamed it on "hard drive problems" both times? That does worry me, definitely. Did you get any further details from them about it? It would be tough to risk voiding warranty in that situation but hooking the drive up to a PC could be enlightening (see what the diags say, scan for bad sectors, etc). Have you had any problems with your 3rd unit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
If you go into your ReplayTV right now. Menu. Manual Record. You can set ReplayTV to record something for May 10, as one example. And there is no TV Guide entry for May 10 right now, correct? Try it. It works.


The ReplayTV TV Guide doesn't vanish after the two weeks of program listings have passed with the ReplayTV unable to connect to the Web. (Again, I have Lifetime Subscription.)


But also, I had one of my ReplayTV's (lifetime subscription) off the Internet for about 3 weeks. I booted it up without the Ethernet cable plugged in.


My ReplayTV Guide was still there, it had all the channels, but no specific TV show data in the time slots. I was able to both set a manual record by selecting the channel number, date and time...and I was able to connect RCA cable from my Motorola set top box and set ReplayTV to manually record Input One at a set date and time (of course I had to manually tune my Motorola set-top box to the channel I wanted broadcast to the ReplayTV).


I have not tried this in a long time, so maybe something changed. But I assume it will still work.


Seriously, it worked. Again, one must activate the ReplayTV first to get the stations and the TV Guide. One must pay. But once you pay, as long as your stations have not changed, why would the Grid guide listing the stations disappear just because the program listings disappeared? Wouldn't it just have no data in the boxes? Does your station list in the TV Guide vanish after two weeks of ReplayTV not downloading new TV show info?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr /forum/post/18500331


Not that I'm the thread police but I think RTV/Moxi comparisons are fine although troubleshooting RTV issues is probably better suited for a new thread (where it's more likely to get attention from other RTV users as well).


Anyways, midas89 - you lost all your recordings twice and had to return your unit twice, and they blamed it on "hard drive problems" both times? That does worry me, definitely. Did you get any further details from them about it? It would be tough to risk voiding warranty in that situation but hooking the drive up to a PC could be enlightening (see what the diags say, scan for bad sectors, etc). Have you had any problems with your 3rd unit?

Todd, sorry again about the ReplayTV stuff. Please forgive me.


As you know, since Feb., 2010, I have owned 3 three-tuner Moxis. The first two had bad hard drives, as confirmed by Moxi. They never told me anything more than the drives are bad. They replaced the first two models. (I lost programs, as you know.)


I still have the third Moxi and yes I am experiencing problems. I have not lost data, though. I get pixelation. I get skipped scenes. I also get bad time counts on the bottom bar often. It usually corrects itself. I have also gotten lost channel identifiers in the Grid guide. And I have had to reboot the device a couple of times.


Everything above is tolerable, but I try to watch the recorded shows a quickly as possible.


The problems in my first two units were way worse, obviously.


My feeling is that I do have some kind of hard drive issue in the third Moxi, but it's not too serious. No crashes like in my first two.


Please know that from November through Feb., I owned and used a two-tuner Moxi with no problems whatsoever. It ran like a dream.


And yes, I know that there are people who have three-tuner Moxi's with no hard drive issues.


Please know that I have two ReplayTV's with no issues whatsoever. So, it is not my cable system. And again, Moxi ran the logs and determined my problem was real. Plus, when you lose recorded shows after a freeze and crash and reboot, and it takes over 10 minutes to boot, you can bet your butt you have a hard drive failure somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
One more thing: I love the Moxi. I love having 3 tuners ("24" on Fox, "Two and a Half Men" and "Big Bang Theory" on CBS/"Dancing With The Stars" on ABC, as one example).


My plan: I am hoping my hard drive stays working until the warranty expires. At that time, assuming it has been shown one can put in a bare drive (I know I can also attempt a clone), I intend to purchase and install hopefully a better hard drive (still have not decided to either stick with the Seagate or jump to the Western Digital). My point: even with the big problems I have had, I still love the Moxi and its three tuners. And I love Moxi Customer Care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Thanks for the summary; I've only been following this thread for a week or so and paging back through the past month or so, so I hadn't followed your whole ordeal - that is definitely troubling. I tend to record stuff and let it sit until I'm in the mood to watch it, and having 500G (or more) at my disposal is probably going to lead to even more of that. My wife records and watches stuff more quickly and I'm sure she's not going to be happy if we plunk down $1k and have to deal with lost shows and other problems. Maybe it's just an anomaly but that's a lot of bad luck for one person...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr /forum/post/18498653


Haha, we have the same application in mind here... BTW, Let's Go Pens!!! I've gotten fairly decent at being able to block the score with my hand while I rewind when I screw up on the Comcast DVR.


I'm not sure I agree that nothing else needs to change, although I'm still not entirely clear on how it works now. It sounds like the "jump" button is usually "swap tuners" unless there is only one free tuner, in which case it becomes a "previous channel" button. Is that accurate? Does that mean in general there is no "previous channel" button? What does it do on the 3T box, cycle between all 3 tuners? If that's how it works, one bad implication seems to be the "Jump" button may or may not dump the buffer depending on what else the box is doing.


Regardless, what you suggested (remembering pause state and position per-buffer [and probably per-box in to account for mates]) certainly sounds like a beneficial change and would probably go a long way towards solving the problem.

You raise an interesting point about the 'jump' button. I'm not entirely sure how it works under the covers with respect to the buffers. Can do some testing here, perhaps, to understand the specifics.


Bruins fan here. C'mon, the Pens don't need any help! Ahhhh... but the B's may well...



Agreed about the per-box state being needed, too, to account for the mates.
 
2581 - 2600 of 7579 Posts
Top