AVS Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 7579 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKerry
The problem, is that there are several channels for each of the following 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Some will record others not. If I search for Fox then 03 , 83, and 1003 appear, for now only 1003 records but not 1008.

I'm going to hold off solving this until the card and adapter (scheduled 4/27) are installed .

Thanks,

Kerry
If you have TWC you need Cable Card and SDV Adapter box (hooks to Moxi via USB). Without the SDV (Switched Digital Video) box you will not be able to view a SDV channel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
TWC installed my M-Card and a Cisco STA1520 TA today. Immediately my channels were populated and all looked well. When the tech left I then noticed that the TA's grn LED was flashing 8 times and then off for 1-2 seconds and then repeat. First I tried pushing the power button on the TA but same results. Then I followed Hawk521's steps* (including a different USB cable) but Moxi still says "No Tuning Adapter detected."

If I didn't know the LED was supposed to be on steady I wouldn't know there was something wrong. All the channels seem to be there and I've recorded several test shows (including two at a time from both the TV and On-line Scheduling) and all appears to be working correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kerry

Moxi 2T

Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk521 /forum/post/19053105

1. Disconnected USB. Disconnected power from Moxi and TA.

2. Wait 2 minutes.

3. Reconnect power to Moxi and TA. USB remains disconnected.

4. Moxi finishes its bootup. TA eventually shows steady LED lamp.

5. At this point I attach the USB cable. TA immediatey starts blinking 5 times, on for three seconds, and repeat. It never stops this cycle.

6. The Moxi diagnostic says "No Tuning Adapter detected."

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKerry /forum/post/20367464

TWC installed my M-Card and a Cisco STA1520 TA today. Immediately my channels were populated and all looked well. When the tech left I then noticed that the TA's grn LED was flashing 8 times and then off for 1-2 seconds and then repeat. First I tried pushing the power button on the TA but same results. Then I followed Hawk521's steps* (including a different USB cable) but Moxi still says "No Tuning Adapter detected."

If I didn't know the LED was supposed to be on steady I wouldn't know there was something wrong. All the channels seem to be there and I've recorded several test shows (including two at a time from both the TV and On-line Scheduling) and all appears to be working correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kerry

Moxi 2T

Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter

Have TWC hit the CC with a REFRESH command and auth. Moxi SUpport can tell you the exact commands needed to be sent by TWC to CC for Moxi to determine it is AUTHORIZED. Screw up by TWC. Par for the course. Same thing happened to me on my install date over a year ago.

·
Registered
105 Posts
FWIW, my TA problems eventually faded into a distant memory. For the most part it has worked well for several months now.

I do however often have trouble with a few specific SDV channels (MSNBC HD in particular) which works fine at night, but between morning and 8pm it continues to say that "You do not subscribe to this channel....etc.) I have a theory that when few folks on my cable segment are tuning to such a channel the local head-end is not responding to my TA's request for some reason. But at night when probably some others on this segment have already tuned to this channel then mine begins to work. Hey - its only a theory! But it does fit the experience I've been having.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone have updated information on the upgrading of Cisco's STA1520 so it can access more than two SDV channels at a time? The FCC mandated that this be available by August, 2011. But I have seen little discussion of it since the Feb 14th decision was handed down.

I want this to enable that third tuner in my Moxi. It's high time the furlowed tuner starts carrying its load.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi danno321s et al,

I'm not sure what happened but prior to posting here two days ago I had sent TWC a Support Ticket. No reply all day yesterday. Then, last night, I checked Diagnostics and voila! 4 pages of TA data.

TWC might have "hit" the TA without telling me. As it were, Moxi showed that the TA was detected, however, the green LED was still flashing. Sooo, I pressed the TA's On/Off button and nothing appeared to happen, the light kept flashing. Then I unplugged the TA's power supply and the USB cable, waited a few minutes and then replugged and still the flashing AND, the Moxi said the TA was not detected. I turned off the TV for a few hours. Later the green light was on steady and Diagnostics showed the TA was detected. All appears to be well.

BTW: I turned in my Scientific Atlanta box, unsubscribed to HBO, Showtime, and TMC (instead I'm test driving Netflix for 30 daysit's clunky, extremely slow, and doesn't rewind for a few frames very well, but still 100% better than the meager offerings of HBO, etc.) and, my bill is about $30 less and, no more monthly $12.95 to TiVO (just $7.99/mo to Netflix). Best of all, no intrusive advertisements in the Moxi menu.

Thanks for your support,

Kerry

PS. Think anyone might be interested in an 8-yr-old AT&T Series II TiVO with an added internal hard drive? Still works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk521 /forum/post/20374221

Does anyone have updated information on the upgrading of Cisco's STA1520 so it can access more than two SDV channels at a time? The FCC mandated that this be available by August, 2011. But I have seen little discussion of it since the Feb 14th decision was handed down.

I want this to enable that third tuner in my Moxi. It's high time the furlowed tuner starts carrying its load.

The FCC decision was actually October 14, 2010.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-10-181A1.pdf

Cox sent out an email, regarding Cisco TA's that mainly affected the Ceton Infinitv 4 even though they mentioned the Moxi as able to use 2 TAs. (which last I read cannot use 2 TAs)

"On May 2, Cox will adopt an interim policy of providing two Tuning Adapters for CableCARD customers with three or four tuners (notably Ceton and the Moxi 3 tuner device). This policy will be in place until Aug. 1, 2011, when we will have updated the firmware of Cisco TAs to accommodate up to six tuners in a single device. The impacted customers will be notified that they will need this second tuning adapter and will be offered a free install of the additional tuning adaptor. "

I had previously doubted the fact that the Cisco TA had enough RAM to accommodate more than 2-Tuners, and that it would not be as simple as a firmware update. I still am a bit skeptical that it would take an FCC action to implement a simple firmware update, we'll see.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just rechecked Diagnostics > TA and it's back to "No TA detected."

I've gone through the drill again but still "No TA detected." Is there a period of time it takes to display TA's four pages even though it appears that it's working. In other words, when I unplugged the power supply and USB a channel stopped displaying. It came back when I replugged the power and USB. Does this mean it's working but that the software is not?

Thanks,

Kerry

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKerry
Just rechecked Diagnostics > TA and it's back to "No TA detected."

I've gone through the drill again but still "No TA detected." Is there a period of time it takes to display TA's four pages even though it appears that it's working. In other words, when I unplugged the power supply and USB a channel stopped displaying. It came back when I replugged the power and USB. Does this mean it's working but that the software is not?

Thanks,

Kerry
from my experience: if you unplug the tuning adapter...go ahead and restart moxi, wait until non-sdv channel displays, then replug tuning adapter.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Oct 14th it was indeed. Your memory is much crisper than mine.

I hold hope that Cisco will in fact be able to upgrade the existing STA1520 via firmware to support additional channels. Isn't it the TA's job to simply negotiate with the head-end and pass along the info to the DVR via the USB connection so it knows where to actually tune for the channel? Once done it would seem the TA would have little active work to do since the DVR has synced up with the head-end. The TA does not appear to be involved in signal processing - unless I've misunderstood the process...

Perhaps I hold an over simplified view of the TA's task(s). But if it works anywhere close to what I think it does then it shouldn't take much additional memory to manage additional channels. A table of channel vs frequency for each additional channel would not take much memory.

At any rate I hope it turns out to be this simple, and that that Cisco soon moves forward on this upgrade. It just seems a shame to have that 3rd tuner loafing. It particularly bugs me on those few occassions where 3 shows need to be recorded in the same time frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX

"On May 2, Cox will adopt an interim policy of providing two Tuning Adapters for CableCARD customers with three or four tuners (notably Ceton and the Moxi 3 tuner device). This policy will be in place until Aug. 1, 2011, when we will have updated the firmware of Cisco TAs to accommodate up to six tuners in a single device.

I had previously doubted the fact that the Cisco TA had enough RAM to accommodate more than 2-Tuners, and that it would not be as simple as a firmware update. I still am a bit skeptical that it would take an FCC action to implement a simple firmware update, we'll see.
I called my local TW number to ask about the TA firmware update and I could not get by "cable card" or "what is a moxi?" They actually hung up on my the first time.

I found the TW national support number and he confirmed that a TA firmware update is coming from Cisco that will allow more than 2 tuners, but could not promise when Cisco would release to them for testing. He is hoping by the end of summer and said there would be a big announcement because of all of the moxi users and those using the computer viewing with more than two tuners.

This is great news TW customers in my area unless the Verizon Fios gets here first!

·
Registered
16,688 Posts
After reading thru the literature from Moxi and scanning thru this thread I have the following questions;

1. Is it correct that you can't set recordings directly from the Mate itself? Its only playback functions? You have to use the DVR itself to set your programs?

2. If the above is true, has anything been mentioned that this will change since it almost makes the Mate useless?

3. If you re-install a existing HDD that was internal to the Moxi, are there any issues/problems? Can I assume the deck will accept the other drive as long as it was already formatted and loaded with the O/S? Any procedure to go through?

4. Why is there a eSATA port on the Mate if you can't record from it?

5. Why does the Mate have a 12v input instead of a standard 120v? Cost cutting, or something else?

6. The USB port is only for the Tuning Adapter, correct?

7a. Can the Replay time be changed from the mostly useless seven seconds to something more meaningful like 30 seconds? If not, any discussing from them of a change?

7b. What are the choices for the Fast Forward times?

8. Are the only times the service logs sent when you send them, or can they be requested by them w/o your knowledge?

9. Can an external HDD be substituted fir the internal drive? IOW's, instead of bothering using a internal drive, just use an external instead?

10. Is the possibility of them adding a ATSC tuner been mentioned by them?

11. Regarding routers, are there any recommended ones? How about ones to stay away from?

12. Just how much of a problem are missed recordings due to SDV issues? As in not getting the requested channel?

·
Registered
638 Posts
After reading thru the literature from Moxi and scanning thru this thread I have the following questions;

1. Is it correct that you can't set recordings directly from the Mate itself? Its only playback functions? You have to use the DVR itself to set your programs?

You are correct, you cannot use Moxi Mate to schedule recordings on the Moxi. It is a feature that Moxi said they are working on but has not deliver and not sure if they will deliver on this feature.

2. If the above is true, has anything been mentioned that this will change since it almost makes the Mate useless?

The streaming live TV is the best part of the Mates... I avoid paying 2 extra room charges to Comcast. The Moxi Mate streams recorded shows and live shows from the Main Moxi. The Moxi Mate can also stream from a DLNA device.

3. If you re-install a existing HDD that was internal to the Moxi, are there any issues/problems? Can I assume the deck will accept the other drive as long as it was already formatted and loaded with the O/S? Any procedure to go through?

No should not be a problem. You can read all about it here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303511

The eSATA port is for you to expand storage using an external eSATA device. You can upgrade the Moxi up to 6TB i think.

Yes.

7. Can the Replay time be changed from the mostly useless seven seconds to something more meaningful like 30 seconds? If not, any discussing from them of a change?

Yes, I have mine set for 30 seconds.

7. What are the choices for the Fast Forward times?

I think there are three fast forward speeds and then a 15 or 30 minute jump ahead.

8. Are the only times the service logs sent when you send them, or can they be requested by them w/o your knowledge?

I think both happens.

9. Can an external HDD be substituted fir the internal drive? IOW's, instead of bothering using a internal drive, just use an external instead?

Yes you can convert the HDD to an extneral HD but you would have to modify the case to allow the cabling to route through.

11. Regarding routers, are there any recommended ones? How about ones to stay away from?

I think many will work but there is no consensus one that works. I use a Buffalo router

12. Just how much of a problem are missed recordings due to SDV issues? As in not getting the requested channel?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao /forum/post/20415881

7. Can the Replay time be changed from the mostly useless seven seconds to something more meaningful like 30 seconds? If not, any discussing from them of a change?

Yes, I have mine set for 30 seconds.

I believe you misunderstood his question. He is asking about Replay Button, not the Skip Ahead. I have never found any way of changing the Replay button from its' utterly useless default setting. If you have your Replay button set to take you back 30 seconds, I would love to hear how you did it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Quote:

The eSATA port is for you to expand storage using an external eSATA device. You can upgrade the Moxi up to 6TB i think.

I thought the eSATA port on the Mate was inactive and was for possible future use.

Quote:

Yes.

Can the USB port be used to play files from a thumb-drive, or USB HDD?

·
Registered
16,688 Posts
acaoacao; Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
1. You are correct, you cannot use Moxi Mate to schedule recordings on the Moxi. It is a feature that Moxi said they are working on but has not deliver and not sure if they will deliver on this feature.

That really makes the usefulness of the "Mate" very limited. Why/what is the problem?? If the Mate communicates with the DVR, why can't it schedule a recording?? Considering you can access the recorder from the Internet.
Quote:
3. No should not be a problem. You can read all about it here

I saw that, but most, if not all is about adding another drive. I didn't see anything on reusing an existing drive.
Quote:
4. The eSATA port is for you to expand storage using an external eSATA device.

From the Mate, or from the DVR itself? I was talking about the port on just the Mate!
Quote:
7. Yes, I have mine set for 30 seconds.

What are all the choices for both Replay and F. Forward? (Nothing in their manual)
Quote:

I think both happens.

Anyone else with this? IOW's can they 'spy' on you?
Quote:
9. Yes you can convert the HDD to an external HD but you would have to modify the case to allow the cabling to route through.

I meant use the external port with no internal drive installed.

Anyone else on any of these questions?

·
Registered
16,688 Posts

Quote:
I believe you misunderstood his question. He is asking about Replay Button, not the Skip Ahead. I have never found any way of changing the Replay button from its' utterly useless default setting. If you have your Replay button set to take you back 30 seconds, I would love to hear how you did it.

Dido. Where the hell did they get a beyond useless seven second Replay time from?? Utterly useless. Huge issue, almost a deal breaker AFAIC.

Someone needs to make up a revised FAQ and a list of pros & cons, updated from the HD Recorders sticky on this!

Hello cypherstream.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX /forum/post/20420255

I thought the eSATA port on the Mate was inactive and was for possible future use.

Can the USB port be used to play files from a thumb-drive, or USB HDD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus /forum/post/20419613

Wow.. Sorry guys. I seriously mis-read both those questions.

The eSATA on the Moxi Mates are not currently active and I only know about about the skip forward 30 seconds and not skip back. Sorry guys.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao /forum/post/20421128

Wow.. Sorry guys. I seriously mis-read both those questions.

Got us dreaming again
And remembering that the Moxi has such great potential. It's really too bad it's only us owners who believe Arris could have a home run with continued development.

4741 - 4760 of 7579 Posts