AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone able to convert a .MP2 audio track to .WAV (and back again)? I would like to be able to edit the audio as .WAV after demuxing an RTV file and before converting to back to MP2 for remuxing for DVD mastering.

I've not found any combination of tools that can do this.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
FWIW, Vegas Video has an option of opening any audio track on the mpeg2 in an outboard audio editor (I use CoolEdit 2000). It converts the file to WAV format and opens it for editing. When the edited file is saved it's also placed back in the project timeline and can then be rendered along with the video for output.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
Anyone able to convert a .MP2 audio track to .WAV (and back again)? I would like to be able to edit the audio as .WAV after demuxing an RTV file and before converting to back to MP2 for remuxing for DVD mastering.

I've not found any combination of tools that can do this.
I think MAD will do this for you. It is a UNIX based binary but last I heard they had a plugin for WinAmp.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mad/

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you could convert a .WAV to the audio of an mpeg2 stream, couldn't you convert an mp3 the same way? and if so with the tools that convert mpeg2 streams to replay compatible streams couldn't you play that on your replay? Not effecient at, but should allow someone to listen to music on their replay.

Of course I really don't know anything about this stuff, I am just thinking aloud.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could not find a plugin for Winamp. However, Winamp does play MP2 (mpa) file just fine so I activated the filewriter output filter. Bingo, wav file. DMF2 can take in a WAV file (replace audio option) so we'll give that a go. I estimate after about 75 minutes of a movie the audio lags by about a third of a second. We'll fire up CoolEdit and timestretch in the direction of speeding up the audio, remux and see what happens.

Though I'd rather be using DVD Lab but that wants an MP2 audio file for input unless I let it stay LPCM, which would use up a lot of space I don't need to waste.

re: Scyber - seems like a really hard way of playing an MP3. What about a wire from your sound card to your stereo or TV? Or any of a bunch of different transmitters and receivers if you need wireless?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
re: Scyber - seems like a really hard way of playing an MP3. What about a wire from your sound card to your stereo or TV? Or any of a bunch of different transmitters and receivers if you need wireless?
Oh I know. My post got kinda cut off in my editing, but I was trying to point out that it would be completely inefficient to bother doing. I was thinking of just proof of concept.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
yeah besweet, you gotta look at besweet by dspguru if you want do do any audio conversions.

Check for besweetgui and other cool tools such as lame, azid (and others I can't think of) over at doom9.org

Check the doom9 forums for help with besweet DSPguru use to hang there before his semi-retirement. THere's TONS of helpful audio info there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.