AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if MP3 files can be "converted" into 4k compatible MPEG video files (without video, of course) and then be shared onto a 4k from a PC? Pardon my ignorance of the MPEG stadards, but if ReplayTV isn't going to offer this seemingly simple feature then I think it is useful to discuss it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There are two MPEG Audio decoder software modules on the 4000:

MPAR4650 - built from Teralogic sources; may use one of the Teralogic chips rather than doing it all in software; actually loaded by the startup script, and presumably used; according to text strings in it, it doesn't implement layer III

MPA - built from mpg123 source (hopefully properly licensed!); presumably does the decoding entirely in software; isn't loaded by the startup script (the line's there but commented out); does implement layer III.

I've played a little with the MPA module, and it *loads* okay, but there's no apparent symbol to call to actually do anything (MPADecoder is the most likely candidate, but it takes no args and expects a magically open file, it looks like). Even if I could figure that part out, there'd be another hurdle -- as built, it doesn't know anything about sound hardware, it just outputs PCM16 samples, and I've no idea what I'd do with those to get them to play.

There aren't any symbols in common between the two, so it's probably not just a matter of changing which one's commented out.

SOoo....where does that leave us?

The other option would be to downconvert to layer II and feed that to the Replay. toolame can be used to do the downconversion -- so this reduces to the "how do I play a non-replay MPEG on the replay" question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.