AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this topic really goes here, if not just let me know. I am gathering the parts to build a HTPC, but until I have them all I wanted to use the PC for MP3's but I am having problems. Here is the problem: I have a windows 2000 box that is hook into my audio receiver for the purpose of playing MP3's out of my home stero system. if I log in locally, hook the keyboard and mouse directly to the PC, everything works fine. I can play MP3's from the PC out to my receiver. However, if I terminal into the windows 2000 box and try to play MP3's, I get an error message saying I don't have some codecs. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? It seems to me that it shouldn't matter if I am controlling the machine locally or remotely, it should work either way, but it doesn't. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Try using the newer Remote Desktop (RDP) client, rather than the old Terminal Services client. This is the one that comes with XP, but I think there are versions for older Windows, too. The new client will still connect with Win2000 terminal server.

The old TS client just assumes there's no point in having audio (since you're remote), and therefore tells your remoted apps that you have no sound card. Doh! Useless for remote control of a music server. The newer RDP client supports audio, and has per-session options for 1) bring audio to remote client, or 2) leave audio at the server. You want option #2.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I tried that and it didn't seem to help. A friend suggested that i TRY "REALVNC"---and it worked!! DOn't know why, but it works now :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.