AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of setting up an MCE 2005 box. This will be mostly for music and pictures in our media room. I have several older computers laying around and was wondering if it would be a better idea to take an E-machine (633i) that use to be my kids and use it only for storing and serving my mp3s using XP (I have about 15,000 on 80 gigs) or should I put them on the MCE 2005 machine? My thought was that if someone were using the MCE machine and someone else was trying to play mps's on another computer in the house it may slow down the MCE machine.

Right now all of my mp3s are on my local computer. Is it practical to think that I could use something like iTunes or MMJB over a wireless router on my home network to play mp3s stored on a networked machine? The mce to emachine connection would be wired but all other computers are wireless.

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have all my music stored on my MCE machine... however, I have two other machines that play all their music off the MCE machine (reverse of your scenario). I am using Windows Media Player on the two remote machine and have them pointing to a network share (on the MCE machine) for their music. Each Media Player keeps it's own database of meta-data, so that is not shared.

I haven't had any issues with this setup at all.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Do you ever have 2 or even 3 machines trying to access the music files at the same time? If so does it cause problems with the MCE machine slowing down?

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.