AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Hoping this question is an easy one. I recently purchased an Apple Mac Mini to use as an HTPC and running Plex (all movies are ripped via MakeMKV and stored on a 1.5 TB external HD connected via FW800). In searching though my Mini's internal HD, I noticed there were several pre-loaded movies in the iTunes Movies folder (40 Yr Old Virgin, Fantastic Four, etc.). I copied the folders to my external HD and added the files to my Plex library. When I playback the movies (MP4) via Plex, the picture quality is terrible (like when you expand a YouTube window and the resolution is awful). Make MKV won't recognize the MP4 file to convert to mkv (the file is grayed out). Here's my question: How do I get the MP4 to play in Plex with good video quality and/or how do I convert these MP4 files to mkv? Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
If the file is of low quality, converting it to mkv won't do a thing for you. Mkv is just a container, it won't magically back a bad quality video look good.

You say these files were preloaded on your computer? Was this a used computer? How big are they (file size)? What is the resolution? I suspect they are just a low resolution version - probably meant for playback on an ipod touch/iphone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the reply. This is a new Mac from Apple. I just assumed there may have been some preloaded media content, however, it could be file from my iTunes library from an external HD. I had thought those were all music files and what's stranger is that these mp4 movie files are actually on the Mini's HD (whereas all my "iTunes" files are on an external drive).

The file sizes are small, less than 1G, so perhaps you are right about them being made for iPod playback

Too bad!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts