AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some videos I converted from DVD to MP4 using the PS3 setting in Handbrake. I store the video files on a QNAP TS-109 NAS. The NAS is hosting the files via TwonkyMedia DLNA/UPnP and I have used it extensively with my PS3 in the past. I have some files that I have successfully watched on my PS3 a few months ago. Now these files do not play since I have applied two PS3 software updates. Nothing else has changed. Is there any way to downgrade to an older firmware? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I just picked up a ps3 and I'm trying to play movies I've been ripping the same way you were. With the ps3 setting in Handbrake. None of them will play. When I use Gspot to double check whats in the file I see

Video: Codec avc1 Name H.264 720x460 2506kbps Frames/s 23.976

Audio: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 48000Hz 159kb/s tot, stereo(2/0)

So, whats wrong with this file? It seems like the PS3 should play it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If the files will play from a hard disk connected via USB but won't play via DLNA then the server is probably sending the wrong mimetype for .mp4 files. If the files won't play from a USB hard disk then you'll need to look into transcoding the files.

I've read that a couple of firmware updates ago, the PS3 DLNA client ID was changed from "PLAYSTATION3" to "PLAYSTATION 3" (space added) and this confused some DLNA servers (I think Twonky was one).

For me .mp4 playback has been nearly flawless for the last 2 months or so. Both AVC and XVID in .mp4 files is working over DLNA.

Edit: Twonky fix instructions
Quote:
I have noticed that this topic has come up a lot lately. My PS3 shows most movies as "unsupported data" or doesn't show movies at all.

The reason for this is that Sony has changed the Upnp handshake string that it sends out to identify itself to media streamers. Below are the steps to follow for getting PVConnect / Twonky to recognize your PS3 correctly again:

2) From windows explorer go to the following path: C:\\TwonkyMedia\

esources

3) Open the file clients.db (use notepad don't worry its just a text file)

4) You will find an entry marked ID:060 It will look like this

ID:060

NA:pS3

HH:pLAYSTATION3

DB:FIX

XM
LNA10

XM
ATETIME

DL:MP4DLNA

HP:chunked

MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts video/mpeg

MT:m4a audio/mp4

MT:avi,divx video/avi

AV:no-m3u

5) You need to put a space between PLAYSTATION and 3 so it should look like this: PLAYSTATION 3

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the hints awx, I tried one of my mp4 files using a thumb drive and it played fine. Looks like a media server problem. I'm using WMP 11 from Vista as the server. Any idea how to get the type correct from WMP11?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
WMP 11 is just broke. Get something else until Microsoft fixes it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts