AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During movie/TV playback, I would like for MPC-HC to ultimately encode any multichannel audio (to allow mixing of Windows Desktop sounds), then output the audio to SPDIF passthrough AC3 5.1 (Dolby Digital).

It would be great to ultimately control multichannel audio volume within MPC-HC.

I tried searching for a solution online; but, wasn't sure what to look for. Maybe Reclock can do this? I know it encodes multichannel audio in realtime to control audio stream playback. If so, how do I set it up?

Hopefully, someone here knows how to do this. I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
I think you'll need a soundcard with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. Only other thing I can think of is maybe J River Media Center can help since it installs an audio driver so it can process audio by acting like a soundcard, but I don't know if there's a way to get the output of JRMC encoded to DD.

I'm also having trouble trying to figure out why you'd want to use Windows volume control for DD/DTS (or to mix Windows sounds in), after all, if you're outputting DD/DTS you're necessarily going to something else with volume control.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I want to be able to listen to windows system sounds during multichannel audio SPDIF passthrough. My HTPC is responsible for a lot more than just playbacking TV and Movies. Otherwise, all background apps/notifications wont have any sound during TV/Movie playback in MPC-HC. Also, I already have control of Windows audio volume via my multimedia keyboard (without having to install USB-UIRT + run Girder).

I only really need this during MPC-HC playback. So, I'm sure it can be done with the right filtergraph and ac3-filter (at least in zoomplayer). Maybe, it's possible to do using MPC-HC too. Not sure.

EDIT: I'm trying to find a reasonably priced Creative Labs sound card (preferably usb2 or usb 3) that can do this; including for games. They have so many different models, it's hard to tell which would be ideal for me.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
I want to be able to listen to windows system sounds during multichannel audio SPDIF passthrough. My HTPC is responsible for a lot more than just playbacking TV and Movies. Otherwise, all background apps/notifications wont have any sound during TV/Movie playback in MPC-HC. Also, I already have control of Windows audio volume via my multimedia keyboard (without having to install USB-UIRT + run Girder).
Can't you just run HDMI (multichannel PCM) out of the PC? That would solve the problem, just decode everything in software and then Windows can do whatever it wants with it after that.

I only really need this during MPC-HC playback. So, I'm sure it can be done with the right filtergraph and ac3-filter (at least in zoomplayer). Maybe, it's possible to do using MPC-HC too. Not sure.
That won't work, because AC3 Filter operates before the windows mixer. So you could get volume control in MPC, but AC3 Filter would encode that to AC3 and you'd still need windows/MPC set to bitstream output, which would bypass the Windows mixer.

EDIT: I'm trying to find a reasonably priced Creative Labs sound card (preferably usb2 or usb 3) that can do this; including for games. They have so many different models, it's hard to tell which would be ideal for me.
You need Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect (DTS Interactive?). Here's one list:
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=68520

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes! Thanks for the tip. I don't have an HDMI audio amp. My motherboard has pretty decent quality sound card "Asus Crystal Sound 2" with very low SNR 112dB (Realtek ACL1150 based) . By default, Realtek drivers don't allow Dolby digital Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive (probably due to licensing, not sure). However, thanks to the below URL, I was able to use unlocked Realtek HD drivers using a simple DLL hack.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...olby-digital-live-and-dts-interactive.193148/

Now I can do exactly what I want.. which is listen to multichannel digital audio without blocking the rest of the audio on my HTPC AND having full control of the audio volume.

Works for games too!

Can't you just run HDMI (multichannel PCM) out of the PC? That would solve the problem, just decode everything in software and then Windows can do whatever it wants with it after that.

That won't work, because AC3 Filter operates before the windows mixer. So you could get volume control in MPC, but AC3 Filter would encode that to AC3 and you'd still need windows/MPC set to bitstream output, which would bypass the Windows mixer.

You need Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect (DTS Interactive?). Here's one list:
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=68520

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.