AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what shaders do you guys use? i hear that shader complex 2 is great, but it looks like its adding a bunch of crappy outlines.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bump for other's input, I'm now using MPC-HC and this post intrigued me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi_Polar /forum/post/18205932

Here are the quality tests I have run against Cyberlink, Media Player Classic Home Cinema with and without shaders enabled.

This is MPC-HC with no shaders

This is MPC-HC with shaders

This is Cyberlink PowerDVD 9

I believe the quality in Robert Downey's face in the second shot is just slightly better than Cyberlink with the shaders enabled. I can see more granular detail. This is wonderful news for me. Now on to your guide to integrate XBMC, MPCHC, and Boxee!

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/18329108

Which shaders do you have enabled? I have enabled the SD->HD but that is it. Should I do more?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 /forum/post/18336695

Which shaders do you have enabled? I have enabled the SD->HD but that is it. Should I do more?

+1, I'm anxious to hop on the shader wagon. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 /forum/post/18336695

I have no idea, that's why I've requested Bi-Polar's help

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tested out [SD]->[HD], but the black levels were way too black so I don't use it. Any way to fix that? And as of right now I only use Sharpen Complex 2.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/18329108

IMO the first image looks more natural the next two are over sharpened.

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18339589

Mike

Agreed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 /forum/post/18212512

I use the SD->HD shader to fix the black level problems when watching 1080P MKV's. Nothing else, just this.

If your mkv's have black level problems, you are doing something wrong. There is nothing inherent about matroska or x264 that would cause black levels to be off.

Personally, I want a logoaway shader for mpc-hc.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18339589

Mike

+2. While it looks good at first sight, it adds alot of small but sometimes unwanted artifacts to the picture. It is afterall a post processing feature.

Try adding multiple of the complex shader 2 and you will see what I mean - it starts looking like dandruff on the screen.

IMHO, for HD material, there is no need for shaders but maybe applicable for SD material depending on what your eyes like to see.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramic /forum/post/18361424

+2. While it looks good at first sight, it adds alot of small but sometimes unwanted artifacts to the picture. It is afterall a post processing feature.

Try adding multiple of the complex shader 2 and you will see what I mean - it starts looking like dandruff on the screen.

IMHO, for HD material, there is no need for shaders but maybe applicable for SD material depending on what your eyes like to see.

I actually tried some the shader too for sharpening a while back. While in some scenes they look good. Other shots look really bad; on my system motion was really screwy looking especially slow pans. Closes-ups looked good, while long shots can "ring" really bad.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
when I open an MKV with mplayer homecinema 1.31249 I get an error saying,

"could not load shader: sharpen complex 2"

any ideas?

-chaseincats

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
What video renderer are you using? The shaders won't work unless you're using VMR-7 (renderless), VMR-9 (renderless), or EVR Custom Presenter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts