AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was in a local Costco yesterday and happened to be passing by their Television section. All the TVs were tuned to the same channel (I think it was CBS) as broadcast by Dish Network. Guess what? The image displayed on all sets (ranging from CRT to plasma to RPTV) showed serious signs of MPEG artifacts. A football game was on and there was noticable stairstepping happening on the lines on the field. Furthermore, the level of detail was rather unimpressive.

Therefore, I have finally concluded my battle with bad video is definitely originating at the source. Garbage in = Garbage out as the saying goes.

Since I also subscribe to Dish Network, I am now forced to wonder if my video quality would improve appreciably if I switched to DirecTV or even Digital Cable? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
There are many factors to a good dish signal. If you got signal strengths in the 90 you are close. After cables, LNBs, dish and switches all make a difference.

The broadcaster also can cause problems the upload to the sat, back to directv or dish, back up to the sat, back down to you. Problems can crop up anywhere.

I always have to double check my problems with either a different reciever or different replayTV.

Digital cable still has problems worse than the dish stuff right now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A new producer was sitting in the control booth with the tech.

At the end of the show. He annouced fade to black, thats a wrap.

After the fade to black with all the pixelation that occured. He then said:

"Remind me NEVER TO DO THAT AGAIN."

Pixelation and artifacts are a byproduct of MPEG compression. Not

much you can do to stop it. Some things that help

Higher resolution

Higher bitrate

Avoid large scene changes

Avoid the line effect. (hockey game blue line accross screen)

Don't fade slowly

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what really irks me is the blatant and obvious difference that I perceive between premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) and basic channels (TBS, Comedy Central).

The difference in picture quality is quite noticeable on my 55" Mitsubishi. Granted, the differences are not as noticeable on the smaller 27" CRT that lives in the bedroom, but I find myself wishing that the "basic" channels could even be half as good as the premium channels in terms of video quality.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I refused to "upgrade" (downgrade?) to digital cable specifically because of this.

Analog cable has little/no such artifacts in my experience.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote:
I refused to "upgrade" (downgrade?) to digital cable specifically because of this.
Are you awhere that better than 90% of all broadcasts today are

digital in nature. You may have analog on the end, but it's digital

mpeg on the front end.

I watch my analog cable and laugh at the artifacts.

Digital TV is only a sure way to get artifacts.

Satellite TV Better than cable............... At making artifacts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Each to their own, but Comcast digital cable in my area versus analog is night and day in my opinion. I am especially sensitive to mpeg artifacts (I cannot watch anything recorded in less than "high" quality for example) but I am fine with the analog cable quality (it's not great, but it is relatively free of artifacts).

I have dozens of examples of people in my area who went over to digital cable and regret it. Comcast (AFAIK) does not allow people to go back to analog though many have tried.

As always, YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.